Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battleground Europe

berty199

Anymore of the excellent Battleground Europe books in the pipeline anyone?

Cheers!

Martin

There are a few:

Jerry Murland is writing several on the 1940 campaign - the first of these is just out, The Escaut, soon to be followed by Cassel and Hazebrouck.

Ypres 1914: The Menin Road, should be out next year. So also Stephen Chamber's two further books on Gallipoli - Walking Gallipoli and Krithia.

High Wood will be out next year.

A series on the French sector on the Somme will start off with Touring the French army on the Somme, to be followed by four more, looking at designated areas in more detail.

The details for a series on the American Expeditionary Force is being finalised - with luck the first one will be out next year, on the Meuse-Argonne Offensive of autumn 1918.

One on Caporetto should also be out at some stage next year.

Also looking at one or two on the Battle of the Lys 1918.

In addition, not Battleground but of a similar style, will be the first three volumes (in this case on the Somme) in a new series entitled Both Sides of the Wire by myself and Jack Sheldon, looking at incidents from both the allied and the German perspective.

Many thanks for the update Nigel, I'll clear some space on my shelves in anticipation!

Regards

Martin

"Space" ... "Shelves" ... ?

Ypres 1914: The Menin Road, should be out next year,

REALLY ???? I have had it on order for nearly 18months :w00t:

Biffo :poppy:

I can blame no one but myelf - it had been sitting there for an age, all but complete. Heap opprobrium on me - not the fault of designers, setters, publishing managers, in particular not my fellow co-author ... . Woe, woe! Seriously, though, apologies all round for the delay on Ypres 1914: The Menin Road , especially as it completes the Ypres 1914 trilogy.

come on Nigel finger out time,:(

I have a space between the other 2,mind I have so many books-dvds with your name mentioned you should invite me round to help you finish said book :P

Biffo

Nice to know that you have your books geographically (and I assume chronologically) spaced.

I know, I know - but things pile up. Just been working on my final proof read of Jack Sheldon's latest epic, Fighting the Somme: The German Army's challenges, dilemmas and solutions. It is a really informative read and something of an eye-opener. Then I need to turn to High Wood, to two other 'urgent' edits, fit iN Armistice Day and a few days in Italy (hard, I know) - and then I can get back on course again. It will, I sincerely hope, be well worth the wait.

Nigel

• 8 months later...
On 05/11/2016 at 17:43, nigelcave said:

I can blame no one but myself - it had been sitting there for an age, all but complete. Heap opprobrium on me - not the fault of designers, setters, publishing managers, in particular not my fellow co-author ... . Woe, woe! Seriously, though, apologies all round for the delay on Ypres 1914: The Menin Road , especially as it completes the Ypres 1914 trilogy.

Is there any further news on this Nigel?

I would anticipate April 2018; for various reasons to do with publishing schedules (and my incompetence) it cannot be much before then.

2 hours ago, nigelcave said:

I would anticipate April 2018; for various reasons to do with publishing schedules (and my incompetence) it cannot be much before then.

Ok, Thanks Nigel

Ken

Well that's very strange! I was browsing Amazon the other day and was surprised to see Battleground 'High Wood' available to purchase at £12.99, having been released back in April. It had one customer review so, without further ado, I placed my order and got an email telling me to expect it in a week or so's time. I couldn't understand how I'd missed its release but what the heck. Today, I got a refund email from Amazon saying it was no longer available - this is reflected on their site where it's now £34.26 (presumably a random price) and the customer review has disappeared. All very disappointing as I'm hoping to (re)visit High Wood soon.

I received the below today via e-mail:

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Harrison, Michael "High Wood (Battleground)"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.  This item has now been cancelled from your order  and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

You may visit the product detail page(s) above to see if these item(s) are available from other sellers

Sean

10 hours ago, SMG65 said:

I received the below today via e-mail:

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Harrison, Michael "High Wood (Battleground)"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.  This item has now been cancelled from your order  and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

You may visit the product detail page(s) above to see if these item(s) are available from other sellers

Sean

Amazon list books in advance of publication- as do others- The publishers put effort into getting pictures of dustwrappers, etc online for Amazon et al to use- and it gets listed with a publication date. Alas, publication dates of British publishers are about as accurate as claims that the First World War would be over by Christmas 1914. Quite often a book listed will turn up with a different number of pages and, occasionally, even a different title. The optimum time to sell a book is upon publication and the mechanics of having stocks available by date X and all the paperwork and advertising in place is a large industry.

My favourite for lethargy and incomptence was the Cambridge economst Alfred Marshall, who never got round to finishing Vol.2 of his major work on economics-he gave his publishers,Macmillan, the run-around  for 25 years on this (Going quietly bonkers along the way)-there is a whole chapter in a scholarly book of essays about Marshall detailing all the excuses he gave across the years!  So-Nigel Cave, young fellow, my lad-you have quite a way to go- Delayed by a year? Pah!! Piffle

• 1 year later...

1914 Menin Road is at the design stage and should, I think this week, be back with us for proofing and indexing. So the end is in sight ....

High Wood is still very much on the back burner - even more so as HW by Mike H came out earlier this year.

1 hour ago, nigelcave said:

. So the end is in sight ....

Is that the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end?

The latter. I reckon when you get to design/proof stage in book terms that the beginning of the end is under way (at least in book writing/publishing terms).