Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. John Greene KIA 03/11/1916

Fraxinus

Today is the 100th anniversary of my Great Uncle 2nd Lt. John Greene being killed in heavy shelling in the Stuff Redoubt area on the Somme. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial and I have his 'Pip Squeak and Wilfred' medals, a photo of him as a Second Lieutenant  which I will post later, the dreaded telegram to my Great Aunt and a large china jar from India when he was with his previous regiment pre war which I believe was the Inniskillen Dragoons or Fusiliers. Below is the entry from the Wiltshire Museums 6th battalion War Diary relating to today. I know I have to go to Kew to see if any Officers papers remain for him but I would be very grateful if anyone on the Forum has access to any other information about him and the fighting of early November in that area on the Somme

1916-11-03

Regiment. 6th Wiltshire
Location France, In the Trenches
Entry 3rd - 5th During relief enemy artillery were very active causing some 30 casualties. State of trenches very bad indeed. During this tour in trenches enemy artillery continually shelling. On the 3rd, 2nd Lt. Greene was killed. Our total casualties were 13 other ranks killed, 43 wounded and 1 Missing. On the night of 5/6 Battalion were relieved by 7th South Lancs Regt and proceeded to billets in AVELUY Remarks R.21

John Greene was gazetted 2nd Lt. into the Wiltshire Regt. on 8 August 1916.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29738/supplement/8787

His medal index card gives his service number in 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons as D/3586, rank Corporal, and date of entry into a theatre of war, France, as 16 December 1914.

The correspondence address for his widow was 11, Nightingale Road, E. Molesey, Surrey.