Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Story (?) Behind the Pictures

4thGordons

And on the same page:

p10-2.jpg

To #25:

That´s the "Kölnische Zeitung" (Cologne newspaper). It was one the largest newspapers in germany with a circulation of 200.000 by outbreak of the war

köln_altstadt_nord_titelblatt_der_kölnischen_zeitung_038a424703_600x450xcr.jpeg

Edited by The Prussian

Ahaa! Thank you. So as a national paper it doesn't narrow things down much then :(

The next page has some faded images but...

.11-1w.jpg

Perhaps something can be made of the signs/location?

11-1signs.jpg

I must say I don't think that helps much!

11-3pay-office.jpg

This sign is in the background of the next picture (Pay Office?) and then -- what looks like a divisional identity if anyone can interpret it?

PERHAPS?  9? Beyr.Res. Division

here is the full picture (p 11)

11-3w.jpg

#28 the first sign from above: Schritt fahren Schritt reiten - I think. Horses should move in walking pace. 

Can't read the rest. 

Christine

12-1.jpg

Nothing obvious to go on on the coveralls except perhaps the twisted braid epaulettes? Stein appears blank also.

Edited by 4thGordons

A morning summary...

I can´t say anything to the double-barrels. I don´think, it´s german.

The steet-signs are unreadable. Schrittfahren - Schrittreiten is ok! Good eyes, Christine!

The plate: Kassenverwaltung, Staffelstab 17, 6.bayer. Res.Div.

The epaulettes in # 31 are intersting. Never seen before! Maybe NCOs or One yearers?

The 6.bayer. Res.Div. constisted of the bavarian reserve-infantry regiment 17, 17, 20 and 21 (21 left in 1917, in 1918 N° 17 was replaced by Res.25)

Actions:

1914/1915: Flandres

1916: Flandres, Somme, Artois

1917: Artois, Ypres, Alcase, Laonnois

1918: Vervins, Somme, Ailette, Marne, Bapaume, Ypres

'33

Is there something above the number of the shoulder straps? A crown? I think so!

So it can´t be bav.6th Inf.Div.

Crowned shoulder straps were worn in Bavaria by: Leib-Regiment, 1.-3., 6. and 10. Inf.Rgt.

Edited by The Prussian

Just now, The Prussian said:

'33

Is there something above the number of the shoulder straps? A crown? I think so!

So it can´t be bav.6th Inf.Div.

Crowned shoulder straps were woirn in Bavaria by: Leib-Regiment, 1.-3., 6. and 10. Inf.Rgt.

Yes I agree I think i tis a crown (in 32).   So this is sounding more and more like simply a collection of pictures rather than linked to particular individuals to me - do you agree?

I have skipped over posting a few location type pics with no people or only very distant people in.

Will scan a few more where uniforms are present and clear

Chris

Finally one with a clear shoulder board! (4)

16-1.jpg

Morning Chris!

I agree! To me it looks like a summary of different units. To the cokades:

The brighter or the larger a cockarde seems to be, it could be an indicator for a bavarian one!

A Staffelstab is a part of the support

troops ("Train")

Bavaria had three Train-Bataillons and they raised into 33 Staffelstäbe, 59 Ammo-colums, and about 100 transport, bakery, slaughter etc. colums.

Edited by The Prussian

XVI18a.jpg

Collars seem to clearly show XVI 18

xvi18.jpg

xvi18b.jpg

The uniform is unclear to me...

Fieldgrey shoulder straps with a coloured piping. Normally it should be infantry, but infantry had white pipings at the tunic M15...

Maybe a medic unit?

Or he stil wears the old shoulder straps of the 07/10 tunic with red pipings, the n it´s bav. Inf.Rgt.4

Edited by The Prussian

That´s Landsturm. XVI.18

That unit had different names:

Landsturm-Inf.Ausbildungs-Bataillon of XVI.Army Corps (Lorraine)

later:

1.Ldst.Inf.Ausb.Btl. St. Avold

then:

1.Ldst.Inf.Ers.Btl. St. Avold

set-up 1.8.1915, mobil since 5.3.1916 duty in Lithuania

16 hours ago, The Prussian said:

... The saxons: It´s Jäger-Btl. 12 or 13. Right. I can´t recognize the number to 100%. I don´t think, it´s reserve, because the boys are pretty young.

The bavarian one-yearer: He wears a chain chin-strap, not a leather one. So he did pass the officers test, and probably is waiting for his officers patent. The collar patches are not black for artillery, engeneers etc. According to a spiked helmet it will be red - so infantry.

The collar 9: Before the Landsturm recieved their army corps and serial number in 1915 (example: VII.8), they wore only the number of the infantry-brigade. In this case the number 9 of 9th brigade in Frankfurt/Oder (III.army corps). The district commands of that brigade were Frankfurt/Oder and Cüstrin. The soldiers came from around those both cities.

That's what I love about this forum! Learning things I never knew! So, a bit more research via Wikki has:

Sächsische Armee[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]

and I assume they all had post horns on their epaulettes, but these boys are indeed likely to be 13... 

Oh, and I never knew about the difference in the pikelhaube chin straps! But, WHAT is the Wappen plate showing?

13 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

... Is it me or do the lower cap insignia look large (and light coloured)

pg-9-1.jpg

Yes big and bright State cockades, a tad larger than the National cockade, and so most probably Bavarian. Somewhere at home I have a book that shows the 'Bavarian standard' cockade with other State cockades, and they are bigger and brighter... I'll try and find and scan...

5 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

13-1.jpg

13-2.jpg

14-1.jpg

These two at the top again have the large bright State cockade, and so my money is once more on Bavarian, but the third photograph shows the 'smaller' sikze found with the other states - theirs are usually the same size as the National cockade.

12 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

9? Beyr.Res. Division

here is the full picture (p 11)

11-3w.jpg

Well, as Andy says 6th - but note the large and bright State cockade again in this one, and in the next one, so supporting a growing suspicion that Bavarians predominate in this collection 

5 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

12-1.jpg

Nothing obvious to go on on the coveralls except perhaps the twisted braid epaulettes? Stein appears blank also.

5 hours ago, The Prussian said:

The 6.bayer. Res.Div. ...

Spot on!

Chris

Posts 21 & 22 - the weapon is a 3.7cm Revolverkanone. A five barrelled  Hotchkiss design made under licence in Germany ( 3 barrels are hidden by the frame in the view of your photo). Originally a light fortress weapon but during the War they were used as anti -aircraft guns and also as trench and infantry support guns.

Mike

2 hours ago, Mike_H said:

Chris

Posts 21 & 22 - the weapon is a 3.7cm Revolverkanone. A five barrelled  Hotchkiss design made under licence in Germany ( 3 barrels are hidden by the frame in the view of your photo). Originally a light fortress weapon but during the War they were used as anti -aircraft guns and also as trench and infantry support guns.

Mike

Superb! Thanks, Mike!

In post 37 is it the film or the light or is this German soldier of mixed race? There can't have been too many of them & even fewer photos. He has 2 medal ribbons one the Iron Cross 2/Class. Or possibly just tanned from service? Thanks for posting these photos & look forward to seeing others.

2 hours ago, Loader said:

In post 37 is it the film or the light or is this German soldier of mixed race? There can't have been too many of them & even fewer photos. He has 2 medal ribbons one the Iron Cross 2/Class. Or possibly just tanned from service? Thanks for posting these photos & look forward to seeing others.

I wondered this too.

Quite a few of the remaining photos are of locations and activities without having good indicators of uniforms - they are interesting in lots of ways but different. Here are a few more with uniforms etc First two in the snow. To begin with I thought these were Austrian/ KuK but I think they are German Landwehr wearing Tschakos with covers (they are armed with Gew 88s18.jpg

From the same page -- with snow

18-3.jpg

Heavy artillery being transported?19-1.jpg

Gun and crew Shoulder boards of man on right reads 2

19-2.jpg

Here is an interesting one: a large work detail perhaps, possibly POWs? or forced civilian labour? or perhaps something else. Many appear to be wearing armbands/brassards that read LXXIV over I 17-1.jpg

17-1detail.jpg17-1arm.jpg