Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help, 2/5th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment Formation, Conflicting Information on LLT

Gunner R.A.

Could anyone please confirm which is correct regarding the formation of the 2/5th Bn, 

kind regards,

Pete.

The Long, Long Trail.

2/5th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment.

Formed in Grimsby on 6 February 1915 as a Second Line Battalion.

July 1915: attached to 177th Brigade, 59th (2nd North Midland) Division.

The History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-1918.

“The 2/4th and 2/5th Lincolnshire were formed at Luton in January 1915, and became part of the 177th Brigade of the 59th Division. The men of these two battalions were taken from a Provisional Battalion organised at Dunstable in September 1914 of drafts of men from Lincoln, Grimsby and Leicester. The Leicester men formed the two Leicester battalions of the 177th Brigade.”

Two of the standard reference sources, E A James' British Regiments 1914-18 and J B M Frederick's Lineage Book of British Armed Forces both bear out the Long Long Trail details. The former mentioned that 1/5th Bn was at Luton in early 1915 so I suspect that it was there that the men not volunteering for overseas service were "stripped out" and, presumably, sent to Grimsby to be formally constituted as 2/5th Bn on 6 February. It is possible that the "stripping out" took place rather earlier, such as in Sept 1914, and the men were held in a Provisional Battalion based at Luton before being sent to Grimsby as I mentioned.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

Ron just about has it there. The men of the 5th Lincolns were asked to sign the Imperial Service Obligation at Luton. Those that didn't were separated from the others and shortly formed the basis of the 2/5th Battalion. They were moved to Dunstable where they received further recruits. Grimsby was headquarters for both the 1/5th, 2/5th and later 3/5th. I don't think that they returned there. The 2/5th went to Ireland in early 1916 and The Western Front in February 1917.

Steve.

26 minutes ago, Steve Bramley said:

Hi Pete,

Ron just about has it there. The men of the 5th Lincolns were asked to sign the Imperial Service Obligation at Luton. Those that didn't were separated from the others and shortly formed the basis of the 2/5th Battalion. They were moved to Dunstable where they received further recruits. Grimsby was headquarters for both the 1/5th, 2/5th and later 3/5th. I don't think that they returned there. The 2/5th went to Ireland in early 1916 and The Western Front in February 1917.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated, always learning mate......always learning,

regards,

Pete.