Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE types

museumtom

A mate has just got his Christmas present early. He was given a BSA made SMLE. The thing about this is that it does not have the year of manufacture on the band under the cocking handle or anywhere else on the weapon. It is de-activated and has a serial number 59522. It has the magazine cut off also. Any idea of when it was made or is there any site on the net that can tell the different types and acceptance years for modifications? Its a real beaut!!

Many thanks.

Tom Burnell

Thanks Nigel.

Thats a really great site.

regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom

As per the last posting, search American sites there is a vast amount of excellent knowledge out there, and lots of good illustrations...Gareth

Guest Clinton Brunt

Hi Tom,

From what I can tell, there was a fairly decent trade in 'Commercial' Enfields. These were made to the same specs but rather than entering the army stocks, and being marked and stamped, they were sold simply with minimal marking.

I own a commercial SMLE that is simply stamped 'BSA' with no dates or other military stamps and its in very good condition and a good shooter as well! Its a later mark, without cut-off or volley sight.

There's evey chance that your mate's gun has been cobbled together from various guns over the years; my bolt does have military marks and Broad Arrow, while no other parts show military marks.

Sincerely,

Clinton

A lot of SMLEs were converted to .410 shotguns post-WW1 and used by Colonial Police forces, especially in India. The removal of the magazine is usually a dead give away as is the re-boring of the barrel. If you can post a picture, someone will be able to give you a positive ID but my guess is that you've got a shotgun conversion.

Great idea...........why not a pic.

Here we go;

post-23-1102537866.jpg

Hi Tom ,

Any SMLE withhout date stamps etc. on the socket is usually a commercial rifle , even rifles used by the Colonies were marked with the current royal crest & date .

Indian rifles had GRI and would have govenment acceptance marks all over .

The shotguns weren't conventional shotguns , they used a short .303 brass case filled with shot and the magazine well was plugged with a wood block to enable single shots only , so probaly isn't one of them .

The magazine cut off was removed in 1915 ?? and re-intoduced after the war .

With the woodwork off you may find commercial proof marks .

All marks of SMLE were available for private purchase up to and including the early part of the war .

Some commercial rifles were standard military style and others with ornate wood work and fancy engraving.

A picture will veru usefull .

Chris

Hi Tom ,

Pictures don't really tell a lot more , it looks like a standard SMLE in nice condition , would really need to handle it to find out more .

It is a rifle to enjoy and not worry too much about the past life , after all most service rifles are like the original 100 year old brooms that have had five new handles & two new heads ! .

Tell your friend to enjoy a good rifle.

Chris

I have just acquired a BSA SMLE and it also has no military markings, the number is 58260. The de activation is acheived by milling a 6mm slot down the length of the barrel from breech to foresight and welding in a 6mm dia steel rod, the firing pin is also shortened. Still a beautiful piece of kit especially with the 1907 bayonet on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

I own a Enfield Works SMLE made in 1915 (full working order with both British and Canadian Army stamps). Lovely weapon!

Check out this site and forum, the best in the world for SMLE research.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~stratton/en-page.html

Cheers,

Jim

Another site worth a look http://thegrizz.info/index.html

Most of these commercial BSA and LSA SMLE's have recently come from Barhain and are starting at about the £275 mark seen some crisp ones with a £450 asking price to much money in my mind for a non shooter.

about 6.5 million SMLE's were made in various marks the rarest being the post WW1 Mk V and Mk VI 20,000 and 1000 made respectively.