Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lists of enlisted soldiers

Guest tonia

Is there a definitive list of men in the order they enlisted.

I am sure that there must have been more than the few family members I know of who actually did go to war, and it seems to me that many of them would perhaps have gone to the enrollment office together as groups of brothers, friends and cousins.

Do the records still exist which the enrolling officers woud have filled out as the men signed up?

TIA

Tonia

Tonia,

Go the the top left hand side of the page and go to The Long Long Trail link. Have a look at Grandad's War and it will tell you a lot about researching relatives. If a man saw active service in WW1 with the British Army he will usually be recorded in the Medal Index Cards at the PRO. You may search then at the following link.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...y=*&queryType=1

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks, I've gotten as much info as I can from the medal rolls, and obviously the CWGC data on those who died.

I just wondered about the existence of the original enrolment data, that's all.

Tonia.

I believe copies the nominal rolls of a few battalions may still exist at various museums. For example the rolls of the Salford Pals battalions of the Lancashire Fusiliers are included in Michael Stedman's book on the subject and I believe these are available at the regimental museum.

Who are you looking for? If you post details someone may be able to assist.

Rgds

Tim