Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers, Italian front

TJames

Good Evening! 

I was wondering about the duties of the Royal Engineers (more particular No.1 Telegraph Construction Company, Lines of Communications, RE) in Italy during the occupation time. I assume they were involved in supporting the Italians via communications, my great grandfather was a dispatch rider in this company and according to my grandfather he sustained a shrapnel wound in the shoulder whilst on one of his duties so from that i assume he did experience front line action. I also have researched a little and found he was first in Pavia (1917) and later moved to Noventa (there were other places but the names are unknown) but the positions of were he is stationed seem fairly sporadic, i was wondering is it possible to find any definite involvements of his detachment in a certain battles that may of been the one he was injured in (and also any he would have been involved in) I'm not sure how far a dispatch rider would journey in the mountainous Italian country side so i am unsure if they were stationed close to the front or far.

Many Thanks!

TJames    

PS: his entire company was known as "No.1 Telegraph Construction Company, General HQ, Line of Communication, Signal Service (or company?), Royal Engineers"