Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire Regiment

droberts

Dave

No mention of him in the index of the regimental history.

However. there is a mention of 315008 W H Calvert being Mentioned in Despatches. No rank or Battalion given I'm afraid.

John

(Later: - got to be him - his MIC records his rank as Colour Sergeant)

Edited by John_Hartley

Thanks John,

I'm hoping to establish my grandads (William R Roberts) cheshire battalion from his mates units. Ive been able with the help of the forum to identify a few of his mates on the MIC index.

Thanks again

Dave Roberts

Dave

His number is consistent with him being a member of the 23rd Battalion ( source: mother site - Territorial Force numbering system). This is further strengthened by his lack of an earlier number, suggesting he went overseas late in the War. 23/Cheshire didnt go to France until 20/5/18.

Unless, of course, this contradicts known evidence.

As you've looked at his MIC, does that give any useful date information. And then, presumably, you'll need to check the Medal Roll which will give the Bn

John

John,

Thanks for the info. My grandad joined the cheshires 7th Nov 1914 as 2667. Which is a much lower number than WH Calvert. Perhaps Calvert had an earlier number.

Do the MICs always show earlier service?

Thanks again

Dave Roberts

Dave

Sorry - if I'd read your posts properly, I'd have realised that you had switched people. My reference to the 23rd Bn related to Calvert.

The number 2667 is interesting in itself. Firstly there's a guy listed in Soldiers Died with this number,named White, who served with the 1/4th, which I assumed was your relative until I came back here an checked names . You can see I've been having a REALLY bad day.

Does William Roberts have a connection with the "greater Stockport" area as I would have said that 2667 looks like a 1/6th Battalion (which is our home town unit).

John

John,

William came from Ffestiniog in N Wales. We believe he was working in the area of Birkenhead Pre war and enlisted in Birkenhead. He died in 1942 so we have little verbal information. He had half a dozen signed portrait photos of his mates he had been in the service with and these came to my father.

The weeks photo was processed in Stockport.

The Calvert Photo was processed in Liverpool.

The others have no location information on them but I have fortunately been able through the MIC to trace them.

It seems highly unusual for White to have had the same cheshire number.

Is this normal?

William was renumbered 20417 into the Pay Corps.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave Roberts