Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest James Joyner RFA Driver

Guest Jessica

I am trying to find a picture of my friend's Grandfather on the front page of the Sunday Pictorial showing him injured with his nurses. The only information I have is written on his medal record.

Next to the Victory medal is written RFA146BTF. I understand the RFA is Royal Field Artillery but what do the following numbers and intials mean please?

There is also a reference to SWB List RA/1049. What information if any will this roll give in addition to that included on the medal record please?

Thanks to all who read this and especially to those who answer

Jessica

The Unit is 146th Brigade RFA Territorial Force.

Dave

Jessica,

From getting his regimental no off the PRO site and finding it to be 831178, from the Territorial Re-numbering sction in Howard WIlliamson's book, it confirms that that band of Numbers was issued to the 22nd Brigade South Midlands Division.

This was made up of Territorial Batteries from Worcester, Redditch and Kidderminster. From the Mother Site it is possible to ascertain that he was in the 241st Brigade (CCXLI) - which formed part of the 48th (South Midland) Division.

Have a look on the mother site for more info on this division.

Hope this is of use and happy hunting.......

I am trying to find a picture of my friend's Grandfather on the front page of the Sunday Pictorial showing him injured with his nurses. ?

There is also a reference to SWB List RA/1049. What information if any will this roll give in addition to that included on the medal record please?

The War Badge [Ref:SWB/RA 1049]will give a bit of Extra information that will be difficult to find elsewhere.

It {The SWB Roll page the SWB/Number Refers To}will tell you his Name,Rank,Possibly Actual RFA Unit He was in When Discharged,Date of Enlistment,Date of Discharge,Possibly Reason For discharge[or KR Code for Reason]If he served Overseas & sometimes his age on discharge,as a Year & Fraction eg:"25 ,3/12"{To obtain this Roll page you will have to go to NA or get someone to research it for you there @ present}

With regard to the Sunday Pictorial Photograph you can find this @ the British Library Newspaper Section,Who will copy the Article @ a Price{£25.00 a Couple of years ago for a Column Article & Photo}

His unit is definitely not the 146th Brigade, RFA ("RFA 146B TF" is the book and page number of the Medal Roll for his Victory Medal), nor is it 22 South Midland Brigade (there is no such unit).

The regimental number 831178 indicates that when the TF numbering change occurred in 1917 he was serving with the 2nd South Midland Brigade, RFA TF. This TF brigade contributed two brigades to the RFA: the first line brigade (1/2 S Midland Bde, RFA TF) became 241 Brigade, RFA TF in the 48th Divisional Artillery and the second line brigade (2/2 S Midland Bde, RFA TF) became 306th Brigade, RFA TF in the 61st Divisional Artillery.

Regards. Dick Flory