Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UC 75 and HMS Fairy

Michael

A gunner from Lower Halstow was on the Fairy when she rammed and sank UC75 on 31/5/18. The Fairy later sank as a result.

I can't find much info on this incident. Even the Official History has nothing more than an acknowledgement that it happened.

I tried searching through the Times when the facility was available for free but again I drew a blank.

I've seen the details on UC75 on the excellent uboat.net which details of casualties from the sub.

Can anyone enlighten the story any further.

Mick

Mick,

UC 75, a UCII class minlaying submarine sailed on May 22, 1918 under Oblt.z.S. Walter Schmidt from Flanders for the English east coast. This was UC 75's 13th patrol, her third under Schmidt. (UC 75's previous commander was Pour Le Mérite winner Johannes Lohs).

On May 26, 1918 laid her mines near the Outer Dowsing LV. In addition to carrying mines, UCIIs had a decent torpedo attack capacity (three torpedo tubes and up to seven torpedoes carried). These submarines would attempt to attack merchant ship, including in convoy, in their assigned patrol area after getting their mines out. Smaller vessels would be attacked using the 88mm deck gun.

On May 29th, Schmidt attacked a convoy off Flamborough Head, sinking the trawler HMT Dirk. U-boats didn't target ecorting trawlers (not worth a torpedo), so I would supect that Dirk got between UC 75 and her intended target.

At 0300 on May 31, UC 75 was attacking another convoy off Flamborough Head. While at 12 meters, the submarine was unintentionally rammed by the steamer Blaydonian. UC 75 started to flood through the conning tower hatch. In UCIIs, there was no hatch between the conning tower and the control room below it. UC 75 was forced to surface. The old destroyer HMS Fairy heard the collision and proceeded to attempt to ram the submarine herself. A confused, brief action followed. UC 75's survivors contended that the destroyer's first attempt at ramming failed but the U-boat actually rammed Fairy. A second ramming attempt by the destroyer did light damage to the submarine. Schmidt then ordered UC 75 scuttled.

British accounts have Fairy ramming UC 75 twice. Not surprisingly, given that UC 75 was actually larger than Fairy, the old destroyer also sank.

Sources: Harald Bendert, Die UC-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine 1914-1918, Dwight Messimer, Verschollen: World War I U-boat Losses. Messimer's book includes translation of three German survivor accounts.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks for that Michael, I hadn't realised that other vessels were involved. I've scoured the PRO indexes for a board of enquiry but drew a blank.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

HMS Fairy was one of the original Torpedo Boat Destroyers [TBD] - the class of vessel from which we get the term Destroyer. They were originally envisaged as "Large Ocean-Going Torpedo-Boats"; they were to work with the Grand Fleet at sea, act as torpedo boats but also have the speed and a heavy enough gun armament to protect the fleet from enemy torpedo boats - they were the first vessels to exceed 30 knots.

Fairy was built by Fairfields on the Clyde; launched 25/9/1897; 215 ft long oa; 400 tons full load displacement.

I have a picture I can post up if anyone asks but as its now 1a.m. where I am that will have to be tomorrow

Adrian Roberts

Hello Adrian

No deaths in FAIRY. 19 men lost in UC 75 and 14 survivours, including O.z.S. W. Schmitz, rescued.

don

• 3 years later...

I have the original signal from Captain "D" 7th flotilla to Lt. Barnish late HMTBD Fairy on HMS GREYHOUND.

He sends his congratulations and sympathises with the loss of the Fairy.

I note in the signal that it refers to U.C.74 not 75.

It says Complement of U.C.74 53 17 saved 36 killed and drowned.

I also have the original signal from Lt. Barnish to the Officers, Petty Officers and men of the late HMS Fairy.

He signs with " and I hope that I may again to have the pleasure of being shipmates with you"

Signed Liet. Barnish R.N.R.

I have a cap band from HMS Fairy and the service record of one of the crew and the medals awarded. Who was later on HMS STORK. I have the Bridge painting from HMS Stork as well.

I have already scanned the signals and could post them electronically if there were interest.

Ian A

Taffrail included the story of this action in "Endless Story" derived from the Captain's account. The FAIRY must have hit the submarine hard on the second occasion as two of the UC75's crew were able to climb on to the destroyer's forecastle.

From Vol-1 of Silent Warriors

ADM 137/3898 provides interrogation accounts gleaned from German survivors:

“31st May 12 miles south of Flambro’ Head. Weather fine, visibility low. UC 75 was coming to the surface when she was rammed by BLAYDONIAN. The submarine’s stem was bent by the force. The conning tower was struck and the hatch was damaged. A large quantity of water was seen to enter the boat. The SS TRONDA and PETER PAN also bumped the submarine. The tanks were blown and the submarine surfaced.”

As UC 75 broke surface, lookouts on the merchant ships raised the alarm. Abaft of the beam of the rear ship in the convoy, was the 1896 vintage ‘C’ class destroyer HMS FAIRY.

Lt. Geoffrey Barnish takes up the story:

“The convoy was steaming in darkness. After rounding Flamborough Head, I left our small bridge in order to have a walk on the after deck. It was generally considered that a German submarine was not likely to attack south of Flamborough Head, because of the proximity of rocky shoals. At 02.05 I heard a heavy crash from the direction of the convoy like the detonation of a torpedo. The officer of the watch, Lt. Bennett, had sounded the alarm. We increased speed and headed for source of the noise. The men poured up on deck, and a few seconds later a surfaced submarine was sighted off the port bow at a distance of 300 yards. Initially there was some doubt as to the identity of this submarine, the proximity of the Tees, Tyne and Blyth, being contributory factors to initial indecision. We made a series of signal grenade challenges but to no avail. I decided to damage rather than sink her - in the increasingly unlikely event that she was a returning British submarine. I ordered Coxswain Spinner to steer for her stern torpedo tubes. As we drew closer German voices calling Kamerad! Kamerad! were clearly audible. I ordered the coxswain to port the helm in order to hit her in a more vital spot. We were too close for the helm to have any effect, and quickly passed over the stern of our enemy. There was no obvious force of impact at this time, and I fear we probably damaged ourselves more than we did him. However, on passing over him, I determined to renew the attack by ram, and, sending the gunner aft to open fire with our after gun, proceeded to turn the Fairy round. The submarine fired her gun but we shelled her from point blank range with the after 6-pounder. In all, forty direct hits were made. The Germans on the submarine's bridge now jumped into the water as we came on again with our ram. The destroyer’s bows struck the U-boat close beside the gun. How far our stem buckled in is uncertain but within seconds our foredeck was under water and the submarine had disappeared leaving two Germans calmly standing on our submerged fo’castle with their hands held up.

The German account continues:

“HMS FAIRY swung round and rammed her (UC 75) again. Because of the serious inrush of water, the C/O gave the order to abandon ship. He flooded the tanks sinking the boat. 14 officers and men were rescued by FAIRY and the trawler”.

Obersteurmannsmaat Stengel described how the crew of UC 75 flung open the hatches and vents and then slid down into the water. He claimed that British sailors continued firing rifles at the men floundering in the water. Stengel also maintained that some U-boat men had manned the deck gun in a courageous effort to return fire at the destroyer. In the context of alleged atrocity, it is worth noting that in the version of his post war report held in NARA, Schmitz claimed that FAIRY had deliberately speeded up just as the swimmers reached her, resulting in needless deaths amongst his crew.

Fourteen German survivors, including Schmitz, were taken aboard FAIRY, but there was no time for triumph, as her bows were ‘opened up like tinfoil’ as far as the bridge.

Lt. Barnish again:

“Signals were sent reporting our damage. Boats were put over the side, and the prisoners were taken charge of and searched. The artificer engineer, Lt Palmer, reported extensive damage to the hull, and it was decided to steam very slowly towards the beach. However, this was too much strain for the bulkhead forward, and efforts were then made to steam her stern first. This was very soon useless, as both propellers were out of water. Engines were then stopped, the crew, embarked into the boats, and ordered to lie off at a safe distance. A last message was sent to Captain (D) by wireless informing him we were about to abandon the Fairy, and then, as we could do no more and the ship had taken a very dangerous angle, I told the two signal ratings, who had remained with me, to swim across to one of the boats. I then hitched my binoculars, to the bridge rail, took off my coat, stepped off the bridge, and swam to the nearest Carley float. Reaching the float, I watched the Fairy’s screws getting higher and higher out of the water until she disappeared at 0305”.

Less than an hour after being plucked from the sea, the German survivors were back in the water again. Not all it seems survived to be rescued by the 7th Flotilla destroyer HMS GREYHOUND. There were no British casualties and all were landed at Immingham by 0800hrs. For this action Lt. Barnish received the D.S.O and Mr. Palmer, ERA, the D.S.C. Five of the FAIRY crew were awarded the D.S.M and nine officers and men were mentioned in despatches.

Walter Schmitz died of influenza in Skipton POW camp, Yorkshire on 4 March 1919; it is not known if his body was transferred to Cannock Chase.

ADM 137/3898 - NARA Roll T-102, Roll 81 Abschriften aus Fragebogen series

UC 75 lies at Reference: 53 56’.478 N 000 09’.036 E

Location: 11.17-n.miles E by N from Hornsea & 13.20-n.m SSE from Flamborough Head

HMS FAIRY lies at Reference: 53 56’.794 N 000 09’.915 E

Cheers Ron

Michael, some info re Barnish / FAIRY / UC 75 ;

BARNISH Geoffrey H N/E Lt. RNR 83P320 Fairy

Vice Admiral East of England 18.09.18 Gazetted

Action with enemy submarines 31.05.18 DSO

Rammed an enemy submarione U.C. 75, on the 31st May, 1918.

Their Lordships' consider that he acted with great promptness, determination and judgement in the manner in which he handled his ship, although he had not the satisfaction of brining her safely into port before she sank. The conduct of the ships company throughout was also worthy of high praise, and testifying to the state of discipline and organisation.

Regards Sadsac

• 10 years later...

I am a Investigator with the UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency and have seized the two uboat propellers from the UC75 that were illegally salvaged by a scuba diver who has since deceased.

I did not know the full story behind the sinking of the Uboat but from what has been written here, it has been extremely useful.

There are plans to put these propellers on display at a suitable museum and if anyone wishes to add more info to the story please feel free to contact me at simon.may@mcga.gov.uk 

UC75 Props.jpg

The screws are badly bent.  I wonder if this was the result of the ramming incident rather than subsequent damage from fishing boats. 

A few years ago I recall parts of locally destroyed U boats on display in Bridlington and in a nearby pub.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

• 5 years later...
On 31/05/2018 at 10:00, Guest said:

I am a Investigator with the UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency and have seized the two uboat propellers from the UC75 that were illegally salvaged by a scuba diver who has since deceased.

I did not know the full story behind the sinking of the Uboat but from what has been written here, it has been extremely useful.

There are plans to put these propellers on display at a suitable museum and if anyone wishes to add more info to the story please feel free to contact me at simon.may@mcga.gov.uk 

UC75 Props.jpg

Hi there Simon, could you possibly get in touch regarding the propellers please..

@RitchiebytheC The fact that his name appears as Guest means that he is no longer in touch with the GWF. I notice that he gives his e-mail, which may or may not still be current.

If not, you may find an enquiry contact here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/maritime-and-coastguard-agency

Regards,

seaJane

14 hours ago, seaJane said:

@RitchiebytheC The fact that his name appears as Guest means that he is no longer in touch with the GWF. I notice that he gives his e-mail, which may or may not still be current.

If not, you may find an enquiry contact here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/maritime-and-coastguard-agency

Regards,

seaJane

many thanks seaJane. We are currently commissioning a memorial to the 31 French crew of the SS Longwy which was sunk by UC-75 of the coast here i 1917.