Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Battalion KOYLI

michael1956

Hi Everyone! I have just joined the site and from what I see it looks great! I am a former headteacher (primary) living in North Yorkshire and now working as a freelance education consultant for various people. I am particularly interested in fainding out about the 1/4th Battalion of KOYLI - my grandfather Horace JOhnson served in the battalion from 1915 until he was demobbed in 1919. I would like to research into the movements of the battalion, as I know he fought on the Somme and at Passchandaele, but doin't know very much more.

On another note, my wife's grandfather David George MacLeod was a captain in the Veterinary Corps serving in Mesopotamia at the same time - can find very little information about the corps...any advice most welcome!

Look forward to talking to you

Michael ;)

Michael

Welcome to the forum

To start you off you will find a lot of info on the Long,Long Trail (Mother site).

Go here this will give you a start http://www.1914-1918.net/koyli.htm

If you look here you will see that Max has a History of the KOYLI and maybe able to help http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showforum=16

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply and the helpful advice! Have left Max a message so will wait and see.

Thanks again

Michael

Hi Michael

Welcome.

With respect to Third Ypres, the 1/4th KOYLI were part of 148th Brigade, 49th Division. They took part in the Battle of Poelcapelle on 9th October.

'148 Brigade attacked at 5.20 am, zero hour, with the... 4th KOYLI in reserve. The [4th and 5th Yorks and Lancs, and 5th KOYLI] came across the Ravebeek - now some 30 to 50 yards wide and waist deep at its midpoint - which forced them to close on the Meetscheele-Gravenstafel road. The left came under fire from machine guns and rifles and the right was held up in the morass. The 4th KOYLI were sent up to reinforce the attack.

The whole Brigade was now in one line. They advanced up a long slope and came under fire from Wolf Copse on the left and Bellevue on the top of the slope. Casualties forced the troops to dig in along the slope. At 7 pm, an attempt was made to take the two pillboxes on the ridge but they were so heavily wired that the attack had to be abandoned.'

The 49th Division was relieved by the New Zealand Division on 11 October.

Robert

Re the Battle of the Somme:

'[On 7th July, 1916] the [49th] Division suffered a heavy bombardment from 12.30 - 2.30 am which centred on the Ancre and eventually focused on the position north of Thiepval. The Germans launched a furious assault using the new light 'egg' grenades on two companies of the 1/4th KOYLI (148th Brigade) who were later reinforced by two companies of 1/5th KOYLI. Bombers of the 1/5th Yorks and Lancs were sent forward, but soon after 6am the survivors were forced to withdraw to their old front line.'

Robert

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for the information which is really useful. I hope to be able to get a sense of some of the action my grandfather was involved in. What was the source of your info? I presume it was from the battalion war diairies or the battalion history?

Anyhow, I am most grateful for your help. Thanks

Michael Booth :)

Hi Michael

You might like to visit or contact the KOYLI museum which is part of the Doncaster Museum. The address is:

Address: Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery, Chequer Road, Doncaster, DN1 2AE.

I think you will be able to get a potted history of the Regiment in the Great War.

Arnie

'Cede Nullis'

Hi arnie,

Thanks for that - I will get in contact with the museum - sounds like it could be very useful.

cheers

Michael Booth

What was the source of your info?

Michael

The first was 'Passchendaele: The day-by-day account'. The second was from 'The Somme: The day-by-day account'. Both books written by Chris McCarthy.

Robert

Many thanks again Robert, always like to know my sources (comes with doing a history degree all those years ago!).

Best wishes

Michael