Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

Has anyone ever found any spare pages of the battalion diary of the 1st Gordon Highlanders. I'm looking for the diary for the 3rd of August 1915. It appears to be missing. The only dates available are part of 4/8/1915 and 20-28/4/1915

Mike

I see there's a diary (of sorts) here Click

Relieved by the "Sherwood Fusiliers"?

1915 began quietly, relieved by 4th Gordons 3/4th August, at Verbrandenholen.
		General Allenby inspected 1st Bn at Oudendown in bivouac, delivered great speech
		of thanks.  DCM awarded Pte P McKay for Gallantry on 19th July at Hooge; attempt to
		present ribbon to Private McKay by Major General Haldane CO 3rd Division on 10th August
		fails, McKay failed to show up!!  Relieved 4th Bn 10/11th in trenches Square 134C.  
		Continuous occupation of trenches through to 23rd, relieved by Sherwood Fusiliers.  Some
		damage and casualties suffered during those days.  Back to Oududown bivouac for 
		remainder of month.

Here.

The original scans of the Gordon Highlanders were a shambles. I flagged this some time ago to NAUK who kindly sorted it out and sent the correct ones. I have both sets of files.... In my experience, when files are re-scanned the ones available via  Ancestry are not updated. 

Do let me know if this is the snippet you are looking for. Shown here under Fair Dealing clause of the Copyright Designs and Patent Act 1988 (with amendments) for non-commercial research and discussion.. 

Strangely, the trench map in the original files is missing from the 'corrected file, so you need both to get the full picture. This is one of about a dozen files that were badly scanned by NAUK. 

MG

GH1915.JPG

Edited by Guest