Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Hussars

Guest gails_man

Guest gails_man

Hi folks

Stumbled accross this website whilst trying to find out about the Yorkshire Hussars. I've just acquired a birth certificate for an aunty of mine & it has the details of my grand dad who was a trooper in the above army unit. It says his number was 3571. Can anyone help with my problem? Thanks in advance.

There appear to be no details listed for WW1 under this name and number with the Yorkshire Hussars. If he served in WW1 he may have seen active service with a different unit. Can you tell us what year the Birth Certificate is? Do you know his middle name? Where was he from?

Rgds

Tim D

Guest gails_man

Hi,

I have no idea if he went into active service during WWI. Anyway to answer your questions, his date of birth was 31 March 1876 & his middle name was Harry. I am awaiting his full birth certificate, which will hopefully give his place of birth.

There are 7 Willam H Everett's listed with Medal Index Cards for WW1. A good way to identify whether he served in WW1 is to track down his medals or any WW1 correspondence which may narrow down his unit. The seven for WW1 are listed at the following link.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...=1&mediaarray=*

Rgds

Tim D

Guest gails_man

Thanks for that info. Hopefully when I get his birth certificate, it may tell me something useful & can cross refererence it with the data you have provided. I'm sure one of them must be him, unless he never received any medals.

I have some more information for anyone reading this topic. I have now come across a "certificate of transfer to reserve on demobilization". There is a Regtl no of 330864 and has been signed by what looks like a Captain E Hobbs. My grandad enlisted into the 2/1st Hussars on the 11 Dec 1915. It also shows that he had a medical category of B11, whatever that meant.