Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Delville Wood Trenches

tootrock

I am trying to follow the War Diary of the 1st Bn North Staffordshire Regiment at the end of August 1916. I have found most of the named trenches on trench map 57C.SW3, dated 3-9-16, but I am unable to locate Ale Alley, Cocoa Lane, or York Avenue.

Does anyone have details of exactly where these were?

I have located Inner, Beer, Devils and Edge Trench, and Hop Alley

Martin

Edited by tootrock
Typo

Ale Alley between square 7 & 13, Cocoa Lane top of square 7. Rats Alley does not list a York Avenue anywhere near here (sheet 36 is the only one) but lists York Trench visible here below square 17. This map has trenches corrected to 29 September 1916

The tiny media upload size limit means the image is a bit fuzzy, this Dropbox link has a bigger one.

I hope that helps.

Howard

ale trench.jpg

Edited by Howard

Thanks for that - it makes things clearer.

In the original diary it states  "A Coy in reserve in YORK AVENUE" but later it states " MAJOR DUGMORE then ordered A Coy from YORK ALLEY to move up". The original writer was apparently confused.  There is a YORK ALLEY leading north towards Delville Wood in square 18c.

There is a problem, however, with COCOA LANE. Your map shows it to be in square 7a, but at the time of writing the fighting was just outside Delville Wood. From the War Diary: "C Coy held from ALE ALLEY exclusive to about S.18.b.7.9 with two advanced posts; D Coy from S.18.b.7.9 to JUNCTION of COCOA LANE- INNER TRENCH exclusive with two advanced posts near BEER TRENCH; B Coy hold DEVIL’S TRENCH; A Coy in reserve in YORK AVENUE."

INNER TRENCH, DEVIL'S TRENCH and the map reference S.18.b.7.9 are all within Delville Wood. There are several un-named trenches in Delville Wood - perhaps Cocoa Lane was one of these.

On second thoughts, if one follows the trench line back from where it says COCOA LANE it enters Delville Wood at about 12.d.3.4, crosses EDGE TRENCH and meets up with DEVILS TRENCH. This would tie in with the narrative.

Thanks once again.

Martin

If you're interested in 1st North Staffordshire At Delville Wood, I have an essay based on the war diary, the Battalion history and a post War account written by Capt. S. Worsley DSO, MC**. Send me a pm and I'll post it on to you. The Sentinel did a couple of stories on the battalion at Delville Wood in August, I think. 

Richard

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2016 at 19:01, Howard said:

Ale Alley between square 7 & 13, Cocoa Lane top of square 7. Rats Alley does not list a York Avenue anywhere near here (sheet 36 is the only one) but lists York Trench visible here below square 17. This map has trenches corrected to 29 September 1916

The tiny media upload size limit means the image is a bit fuzzy, this Dropbox link has a bigger one.

I hope that helps.

Howard

Hello Howard

Is there any chance you could update or refresh the Dropbox link to the higher resolution image of the Delville Wood Trench Map, as I can't get it to work ?

The above map is great, but I'm just trying to see a little more detail on the trenches to the east and north sides of the wood.

My G Grandfather was in the Royal Engineers 61 FC, supporting the 43rd Brigade of the 14th Div, and wounded on 18/8/1916; I'm just trying to plot their exact movements on that day.

I have a copy of the WD for both the 61 FC and 14 Div CRE, so am now trying to marry everything up together, and this is the best map I have found yet.

Many thanks in advance

Niall McCoubrie

(Researching 40190 Spr McCoubrie, P  61st Field Co / 14th RE, attached to 43rd Brigade) 

17 hours ago, Niall McCoubrie said:

Hello Howard

Is there any chance you could update or refresh the Dropbox link to the higher resolution image of the Delville Wood Trench Map, as I can't get it to work ?

The above map is great, but I'm just trying to see a little more detail on the trenches to the east and north sides of the wood.

My G Grandfather was in the Royal Engineers 61 FC, supporting the 43rd Brigade of the 14th Div, and wounded on 18/8/1916; I'm just trying to plot their exact movements on that day.

I have a copy of the WD for both the 61 FC and 14 Div CRE, so am now trying to marry everything up together, and this is the best map I have found yet.

Many thanks in advance

Niall McCoubrie

(Researching 40190 Spr McCoubrie, P  61st Field Co / 14th RE, attached to 43rd Brigade) 

Here it is. I use the free Dropbox so periodicaly delete older stuff. Let me know when you have it.

This and lots of others of the same area are on the WFA Mapping the Front DVDs for the Somme.

Howard

On 27/01/2018 at 10:56, Howard said:

Here it is. I use the free Dropbox so periodicaly delete older stuff. Let me know when you have it.

This and lots of others of the same area are on the WFA Mapping the Front DVDs for the Somme.

Howard

Thanks very much Howard, that's working fine.

Much obliged

Niall

9 hours ago, Niall McCoubrie said:

Thanks very much Howard, that's working fine.

Much obliged

Niall

Thanks, now it has gone again.

Howard

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2018 at 09:05, Howard said:

Thanks, now it has gone again.

Howard

Howard 

Is there any chance of uploading the link again  ... sorry to be a pain trying to locate the same trenches from the original post ... researching 8 Queens in Delville Wood namely Inner, Devils, Cocoa Lane, Ale Alley 

Cheers

Dan

24 minutes ago, DanMorris1989 said:

Howard 

Is there any chance of uploading the link again  ... sorry to be a pain trying to locate the same trenches from the original post ... researching 8 Queens in Delville Wood namely Inner, Devils, Cocoa Lane, Ale Alley 

Cheers

Dan

Here it is.

Howard

Niall, Howard maybe this will help a little taken from the 43rd Brigade Diary

DSC02725.JPG

14th Div HQ Diary

DSC09989.JPG