Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses in france

Beverley Rooney

I am trying to find information regarding my late grandma. She went to France and nursed the troops. I don't know if she was a volunteer her name was Elizabeth manners Appleby from North Shields county Northumberland. 

There is no Elizabeth Manners Appleby on the Red Cross list of VAD members and none from North Shields, though the list is incomplete. Your nearest one is this lady

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/History-and-origin/First-World-War/Card?sname=appleby&id=4792&first=true

but she is the wrong side of the Tyne.

Good hunting

Cheers Martin B

Is she the Elizabeth Manners Appleby that got married in Tynemouth January 1898? Married George Bolam Dick.

Can't see any VAD or WO/399 records for an Elizabeth Dick.

TEW

Hi

As TEW asks? Born 28.9.1876 d.March 1953, Wallsend? OR Born 6th July 1896 parents Henry Appleby and Eleanor Blackburn Grant?

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Does the name Downie have any significance ?  An Elizabeth Helen Manners Downie was issued with WW1 medals. She served with St. John Ambulance and Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service.

Elizabeth Helen Manners Downie has a WO/399 record

Address in 1930 is 'Amara' Hawkhurst, Kent. WWI service in UK, India and Basra. Another adrres in Kilmacolm, Scotland in 1919.

DOB 18/8/1875

NOK in 1916 is her brother who is Dr Walker Downie, Woodside Crescent, Glasgow.

No connection in the record to Appleby or Dick that I can see.

TEW

Hi All

Elizabeth Helen Manners Downie b.1875 died 1965 at above address "Amara" where she was registered as a Nurse/Physio/Masseuse, can't find any trace of her marrying therefore unlikely to be Beverley Rooney's grandma.

Regards Barry

18 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi

As TEW asks? Born 28.9.1876 d.March 1953, Wallsend? OR Born 6th July 1896 parents Henry Appleby and Eleanor Blackburn Grant?

Regards Barry

Hi Barry thank you so much Her parents are Henry Appleby and Eleanor. Do you have information on her 

Regards Bev

21 hours ago, TEW said:

Is she the Elizabeth Manners Appleby that got married in Tynemouth January 1898? Married George Bolam Dick.

Can't see any VAD or WO/399 records for an Elizabeth Dick.

TEW

Thanks but that Isn't her,Someone has information on her.Thanks for helping,

Hi Bev

Don't cut the search short. The information I found on a number of Public Trees on Ancestry. Elizabeth was the eldest of 6 children and her parents married a month before she was born.On the 1911 census the family are recorded as APPLEY @ 72 King St., N.Shields. If you don't have access to Ancestry then I suggest you visit your local library. You will find plenty of family history.

I think Martin's post No.2 is worth following up.

Regards Barry

1911 census shows a Catherine Appleby @ 11 Rosedale Terrace,(same address as post 2) Willington. She is 54 yrs old, a spinster. so not the one we are looking for.

Edited by The Inspector

Thank you all so much for help in this matter.It is greatly appreciated

Regards Bev