Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Ship Types please!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I hope some bright spark can give me more information on the following Royal Navy ships 1914-1918:

HMS Halcyon - all I know is that she sunk UB 27 on 29 July 1917

HMS Columbine

HMS Gunner

HMS Pekin

HMS Boadicea

Many thanks.

Ian,

From Janes:

HMS Boadicea

Built May 1908, a Boadicea class Light Cruiser, 3,300 tons, compliment 317. Doesn't give info on sinking, so presumably survived the war.

HMS Halcyon

Torpedo gunboat, launched between 1893-4, 1,070 tons, compliment 120, think this also survived the war.

Don't seem to be able to find the others. Columbine I would hazard a guess is a US ship, but other than that, nothing, sorry...

Jim

Ian

UB 27 sank 12 ships all told, 10 in 1916 totalling 6,438 tons and 2 in 1917 totalling 10,228 tons. She was commanded by Dieckmann, Lube and von Stein during the war.

Steve

A few comments:

HMT Pekin - actually a trawler taken into naval service and not a minesweeper per se though likely would have been used for minesweeping.

HMS Boadicea -- light cruiser, commissioned 1909, served at Jutland, survived war, harbor ship at Dartmouth until sold for breaking up in 1926.

Aside from posting here, I also handle the WWI fate information for uboat.net and am doing research for a book on WWI U-boat losses. I recently had the opportunity to reviewed UB 27's orders for her final patrol. Based upon patrol length considerations, the location of where Halycon's attack took place, a lack of overwhelming evidence of destruction, and modern side scan sonar not showing a submarine wreck in the area, it is highly unlikely that Halycon sank or even attacked UB 27.

Best wishes,

Michael