Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why does each battalion have an RSM ?

ss002d6252

This is not gratuity related and ranks/appointments  are out of my area but why does each battalion with a regiment have a Regimental Serjeant Major rather than there being just one in the regiment ?

I imagine there's probably a simple answer that I haven't thought of yet.

Craig 

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks Gareth - that makes perfect sense. I knew it would be an obvious one I was missing.

Craig

But it was wrong - that's why I deleted it!

Oh well - it did make sense as a reason though !.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I have no idea exactly where I came across the following. It was in some genealogical research about three brothers who served in the Royal Scots about 1790  odd to about 1812. 

Doesn't the RSM's appointment "descend" from the appointment (rank?) of sergeant major (one per battalion) which was formalised somewhere in the 1800s which had informally existed for some years before.

Roger M

Not knowing what Colonel D posted, I could be repeating the error, but is it a hangover from the pre-1881 regimental system in which regiments were generally single entities rather than a collection of sub-units?

1 minute ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Not knowing what Colonel D posted, I could be repeating the error, but is it a hangover from the pre-1881 regimental system in which regiments were generally single entities rather than a collection of sub-units?

That's pretty much what the good colonel posted.

Craig

I don't know if this is correct but I was once told when asking "why REGIMENTAL Sergeant Major  when each major unit of a Regiment or Corps has a RSM"

the answer was this

the use of the designation "Regimental" does not mean belonging to the Regiment because it is not only Regiments that have an RSM . As well as Battalions of Infantry all Major Military establishments such as training Depots have an RSM. 

Regimental has the meaning in"he was a regimental type always smartly dressed and had a soldiers bearing", similer also  to the word Regimented referring to being disciplined and carrying out tasks in a uniformed way.

Because the RSM must be the epitome of the efficient soldier in Dress and Behaviour and was responsible, to the unit Adjutant and CO to ensure all members of the unit meet the required standard of Dress, Behaviour and Discipline

Edited by bill24chev