Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amang Oursel's United

Garmin.

Can anyone please identify this Badge.

It is widely seen as belonging to the Aberdeen Militia, but I have been told there was never such a Corp.

The wording on the scroll reads, Amang Oursel's United, a line from the Robert Burns song, Does Haughty Gaul Invasion Threat, appeared in the Dumfries Weekly Journal April 1975.

The confusing part of this is his connection to the The Dumfries Volunteers and that line from the song, does this connect the Badge to these volunteers, maybe it was commissioned after his death?.

I can find no reference the badge anywhere, if anyone thinks they can help, please get in touch.

Cant add photo, it keeps telling me its too big, help.

The crown is the same as used on the Queen Victoria half farthing coin between 1838 &1859.

Alan

Thanks Allen, that dates the Badge, but still none the wiser as to the Regiment, Aberdeen Militia or otherwise.

Garry.

I cannot speak to the badge but if it helps there were indeed various militia units in the Aberdeen area in the early 19th Century.

They are detailed in Sinclair, Donald. 1907. "The History of the Aberdeen Volunteers" Aberdeen Daily Journal. Aberdeen.

A quick glance through seems to indicate specific reference to "militia" units begins around 1802 and lasts until about 1859 when they morph into "rifle volunteer companies" which in turn become "Volunteer Battalions" of the Gordon Highlanders in around 1884, which become "Territorial Force" battalions in 1907/8.

I cannot see any reference to the motto but I only had a quick look as it is a rather dense work reproducing lots of lists and parliamentary letters etc.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that is a comprehensive book, there was an Aberdeenshire Militia and a Royal Aberdeenshire Highlanders (Militia) after all and they are mentioned from 1860, but no specifics on uniform or insignia on any of the Militia's mentioned and as you rightly said, they all morph into other units.

The web page had a handy option, a search box so I typed in Militia and it shows each page where that word is mentioned.

I did find a close match on page 37, In Defence In Defiance, but again no explanation.

So despite straining my eyes reading the e-book, unfortunately no further on. I am waiting for an answer from The Gordon Highlanders Museum, as you will know, most of the Volunteers from that area ended up with the Regiment at some point.

So thank you again, and let me know if you come up with anything else.

Garry.