The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Albert Lumley

jasonrussell

Hi Doug,

Wondering if you can help me with any additional information on my Great Uncle

Kind regards,

Jason

LUMLEY John Albert - Private 17871, 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards. Guards Division. Taken prisoner during the German Spring offensive in Flanders and died of wounds in captivity 21st April 1918. Aged 24 Buried in Tournai Communal Cemetery, Allied Extension ,Tournai ,Hainault Belgium.

The £13 war gratuity in the effects records show that Lumley had 28 months qualifying service at the time of death.

Craig

2 hours ago, jasonrussell said:

Hi Doug,

Wondering if you can help me with any additional information on my Great Uncle

I don't know who Doug might be, but this link will tell you how to find any information that might be out there. Not only that, but it will put what you find into context and will explain the abbreviations and jargon you're bound to come across.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/

Hi John am I easily forgotten ?

Regards Doug!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help unfortunately no detail of him on Red Cross WW1 records I have previously looked, having being wounded and captured on the 13/04/1918 and dying on the 21/04/1918 in Tournai hospital I dont think he would have been recorded.

Regards,

Jason

Hi, I found that surprising and had a quick look - there are three index cards relating to him, with a reference to more information in the files.  It has an address for his mother and says "died ... from shot in head".

You go to the ICRC website and enter 'search for a person' (British is the default).  They're arranged in groups and his are almost at the end of the group headed "Luccraft (347)".  Go right to the end and you should find them.  There's a reference PA29766 and if you go to 'Examples of index cards - Cards of a British serviceman' and enter that number you'll find him.  However it just says 'Kopfschuss' (shot in head) with no other details, so sadly he was obviously in no fit state to give them.

PS better to post inquiries like this under the 'Soldiers' section of the website, as I only found it here by chance.

I hope this is helpful,

John

Edited by johntaylor

Also, if you enter R216362 you will find in effect a German death certificate - this confirms his dates of birth and death, and gives the name of the hospital where he died.

A very sad story, but you're fortunate to have this much information about him.

All the best, John

• 2 months later...
On 09/11/2016 at 20:13, johntaylor said:

Also, if you enter R216362 you will find in effect a German death certificate - this confirms his dates of birth and death, and gives the name of the hospital where he died.

A very sad story, but you're fortunate to have this much information about him.

All the best, John

Hi John,

Only just seen this and still in elated shock! Thank you so much you have been so helpful I feel I have completed the path in finiding out what happened to my Great Uncle. I just need a German translater now for the rest of  the document and its refrences.

I think when wrong by only searching for his name or maybe this went document went on after I searched.

I have attached the documents so others can see & a picture of my very brave Great Uncle John, I feel so much pride an respect for him laying down his life so I can enjoy the peaceful life that have.

P.S. Spookily you have the exact same name as my Grandfather!!

Many thanks again you have been more than helpful

Kind regards,

Jason 302203_10150307999978673_1464829632_n.jpg

C_G1_E_01_03_0026_0011.JPG

C_G1_E_04_01_0149_0168.JPG

C_G1_E_15_01_0055_1372_0.JPG

C_G1_E_15_01_0055_1373_0.JPG

C_G1_E_15_01_0055_1374_0.JPG

Hi, I'm glad you saw my reply, and that it was helpful. The coincidence regarding names is indeed spooky, though there are quite a few of us around!  I've done my best to translate the death certificate - my attempt is below but others may well give a better version.  I'm not sure about the "3. Erk.Mrk." bit - the 3 may refer to him being in No. 3 Company, as shown in the Red Cross records, but "Erkundung Mark" would translate as "inquiry number".

The officer who signed the certificate has an unusual name (unlike me), and it could even be this man, who was an eminent lawyer and genealogist with military connections.  However he was quite old by then, so I suspect it was one of his children (put the page through Google Translate and you'll see what I mean): http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/AMF/ak-altenburger-land/persoenlichkeiten/W%C3%BCrdigungen/kekule1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/AMF/ak-altenburger-land/persoenlichkeiten/W%C3%BCrdigungen/kekule.htm&h=155&w=163&tbnid=MSTVdYPWeMgeTM:&vet=1&tbnh=124&tbnw=130&docid=VYMl1K-0PQTj5M&itg=1&usg=__UqE9vRc0D0s_NOKsY4MrNCqYjok=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS9Muk4-fRAhXhIJoKHeUVDKwQ_B0IcjAK

Here is the translation.  Delighted to have been of help,

John

CERTIFIED COPY

Card:

LUMLY John A.

Soldier [i.e. Private] 3rd Coldstream Guards [3 Erk.Mrk.?] number 17871 died 21/4/18 as a result of a shot to the head in 20th Bavarian Section Field Hospital at Tournai (born 12/7/93 in Brighton, Sussex)

Prussian War Ministry

Central Certification Bureau

(presumably a departmental code?)

Berlin N.W.7 on 25/2/19

As a faithful copy

Kekule von Stradonitz

Captain

6 hours ago, johntaylor said:

I'm not sure about the "3. Erk.Mrk." bit - the 3 may refer to him being in No. 3 Company, as shown in the Red Cross records, but "Erkundung Mark" would translate as "inquiry number".

The 3. does indeed refer to No 3 Coy and 'Erk. Mrk.' is 'Erkennungs-Marke' = ID disk (number).

Thanks for that clarification - it certainly makes sense.

John