Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Derby Scheme: Questions

rolt968

Could some one help me with a couple of points about the Derby Scheme.

If I remember rightly, under the Derby Scheme a man attested and was then mobilised at a later date according to the group to which he belonged.

a. Was he allocated a serial number when he attested or when he was mobilised?

b. Was his gratuity based on the date he attested or the date he was mobilised?

Many thanks in advance.

Roger M

a ) when they were mobilised although it appears some were allocated their numbers as they were still trying to appeal for a deferral.

b ) it was the date he was mobilised - the AO specifically forbidt any time on the reserve from counting.

Craig

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

a ) when they were mobilised although it appears some were allocated their numbers as they were still trying to appeal for a deferral.

b ) it was the date he was mobilised - the AO specifically forbidt any time on the reserve from counting.

Craig

Many thanks Craig,

It means that one of my men might have joined under the Derby Scheme, but I don't think I will ever know.

Roger M

2 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Many thanks Craig,

It means that one of my men might have joined under the Derby Scheme, but I don't think I will ever know.

Roger M

Who was he - I can take a look if you want ?

Craig

12 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Who was he - I can take a look if you want ?

Craig

Thanks Craig

He was Frank Silver in this thread:

His gratuity indicates enlistment in April 1916. If he was a Derby Scheme man his group would have been mobilised in March 1916.

Roger M

Just to complicate things - due to the way the gratuity works it can sometimes be pushed back by a further months from the generally derived figure (due to the odd way it worked).

Do we know when his group mobilized and I might be able to confirm via a manual calculation.

Craig

4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Just to complicate things - due to the way the gratuity works it can sometimes be pushed back by a further months from the generally derived figure (due to the odd way it worked).

Do we know when his group mobilized and I might be able to confirm via a manual calculation.

Craig

He was single and born in 1876. I calculate that as Group 22. I think they were mobilised on 18 March 1916.

Roger M

Took a look at the gratuity and I would say it tells me his service started after 23/3/16 but nothing else.

Craig

15 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Took a look at the gratuity and I would say it tells me his service started after 23/3/16 but nothing else.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

That makes it even nearer - he could have had a week's deferral. I don't think I will ever know.

Roger M