Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. A. Bellis. Denbigh Yeo.

roselyn2

700 Pte. A.Bellis. Denbigh Yeomanry. Can any member tell me if he is the same A. Bellis died with the Royal Welsh Fuliliers 31. 7. 1917.    Thank you.   Lyn.

The A. Bellis died with the Royal Welsh Fuliliers 31. 7. 1917 is:

BELLIS ANDREW A 20   31/07/1917   Private Royal Welsh Fusiliers "B" Coy. 17th Bn. Belgium '26371' BEDFORD HOUSE CEMETERY Enclosure No.4 IX. E. 15. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bellis, of 10, Merlin St., Johnstown, Wrexham.

He has a Service Record on Ancestry:

Here

I can't see that Denbighshire Yeomanry reference or serive number in the record.

Attested Llandudno 15/07/1915

Lived at 10 Merlin Street, Johnstown,Ruabon

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Arthur Bellis 700 DHY later Lab Corps was from 60 Vale Street, Denbigh,( later of 37 Love Lane)

His brother, Thomas Bellis was 196074, G Special Coy, RE.

Their brother Herbert is likely to be this man

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/768034/BELLIS, HERBERT

All three names are with these parents at 67 Beacons Hill, Denbigh in the 1911 census

BELLIS, HERBERT

Sapper
Service No:
Date of Death:
10/07/1916
Regiment/Service:
Royal Engineers

123rd Field Coy.
Panel Reference:
Pier and Face 8 A and 8 D.
Memorial:
THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information:
Son of Thomas and Susannah Bellis of Vale Street, Denbigh.

I thought that all the casualties in the Denbigh Yeomanry were all buried in the U.K. A total of 15. 700  Pte A. Bellis Denbigh Yeo. Died with the number 26372 . Bellis Is buried/remembered at Bedford House Cemetery Belgium. Is this because he was with another regiment when he died ?.   Or 

are the casualties to the Denbigh Yeomanry that died and buried in the U.K.did not transfer to other regiments .

Thank you .  Lyn.

They are two different men.

Arthur Bellis 700 DHY who was later in Labour Corps 548611and is from Denbigh as per my info above

and

Andrew Bellis RWF 26372 who was the casualty in France and is from Johnstown, Wrexham as per the CWGC/personal file details.

You have the pair to the former and can therefore ignore the latter.

The problem with Labour Corps Rolls is that they do not list all the numbers a man might have had whilst overseas. He has obviously gone overseas as 700 DHY as that is what he has on his medal(s). This will have been after 31 12 1915 (no Star) but before the TF renumbering of 'early 1917'. No Labour, No Battle page 322 informs us that his number is in a block allocated May to Sept 1918 in Egypt.

Assuming therefore that he has gone to Egypt to reinforce 1st 1st DHY there he will/should have a six digit RWF  number***  from when the 1st 1st DHY were converted to 24th Bn RWF in March 1917.

*** I'd say it was  345186, 345187, 345188 or 345190

Edited by Hywyn

21 minutes ago, Hywyn said:

Assuming therefore that he has gone to Egypt to reinforce 1st 1st DHY there he will/should have a six digit RWF  number***  from when the 1st 1st DHY were converted to 24th Bn RWF in March 1917.

*** I'd say it was  345186, 345187, 345188 or 345190

It's just dawned on me that 1st 1st DHY did not go overseas to Egypt till March 1916. It's fair to assume all told then that he has gone with them that March, converted to the RWF 24th Bn number March 1917 and then transferred to the Labour Corps in 1918.