Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS SAPPHIRE WW1 Acts of Courage Medals

BARRY M JORDAN

Trying hard to find where details of the Royal Navy's  Military Service Medal for my Grandfather Petty Officer Stoker Percy Lawrence born on the 24th June 1887 at St Mary's Hoo, Kent married on 17th April 1911 to Sylvia my Grandmother.

He joined the Royal Navy at an early age and served on HMS Sapphire and when I recall he told me he was on board at Sheerness (But it may have been Chatham or elsewhere) He was recognised by the Admiralty for an act of courage. A lighting unit, which in those days was fed by steam, blew up while he was on watch below!

His prompt action in groping his way to the master switch and turning this off put him in hospital with burns, but his actions averted what might have been a tragedy.

I have tried the Log Records of HMS Sapphire but although it appears they appear in Summary Extracts, I can find no record of my Grandfathers bravery and or the type of medal he was awarded. Sadly he died in 1971 aged 84 but I do know he was a very hard working upright man after leaving the Navy. Always strong and helpful setting up his own Gardening Firewood Business in Gravesend after bring is family son & daughter my mother, back from Canada helping to build the Canadian National/Pacific Railways

Any help or records from the Logs or other records of the award of Medals for Courage would be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Barry M. Jordan  MICWCI

Have you tried ancestry or find my past for his service record?

sheerness was also a naval base.

i can find 2 Percy Lawrence and neither born kent

1 served ww1 only in RNAS

the other served from 1906 as a boy until 1938 also awarded lsgc medal service number 235023 Percy Charles Lawrence 24 Sep 1888 born London , his record from 1922-1941 is at the documents online at the national archives website and will cost £3.50 this will also give a discharge date and may include his 1939 record see below

he rejoined in 1939 with a new number p/jx163002 which the mod will have the record. Unless your grandmother is alive it will cost you £30 to retrieve it from the mod. Check the tna documents online site first mind.

Could he have been awarded the medal after 1922 and upto ww2 or during ww2 as no sign of sapphire on his record until 1922

contact me via PM or leave contact details if you need the ww1 record?

Edited by james_harvey

The National Archives has five RN seamen called Percy Lawrence (and one Percy Lawrence Wells), some with middle names, born in Kent, but none on that date: 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Percy+Lawrence+ADM+Kent

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:25, james_harvey said:

the other served from 1906 as a boy until 1938 also awarded lsgc medal service number 235023 Percy Charles Lawrence 24 Sep 1888 born London , his record from 1922-1941 is at the documents online at the national archives website and will cost £3.50 this will also give a discharge date and may include his 1939 record see below

he rejoined in 1939 with a new number p/jx163002 which the mod will have the record. Unless your grandmother is alive it will cost you £30 to retrieve it from the mod. Check the tna documents online site first mind.

Could he have been awarded the medal after 1922 and upto ww2 or during ww2 as no sign of sapphire on his record until 1922

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:07, BARRY M JORDAN said:

Trying hard to find where details of the Royal Navy's  Military Service Medal for my Grandfather Petty Officer Stoker Percy Lawrence born on the 24th June 1887 at St Mary's Hoo, Kent married on 17th April 1911 to Sylvia my Grandmother.

He joined the Royal Navy at an early age and served on HMS Sapphire and when I recall he told me he was on board at Sheerness (But it may have been Chatham or elsewhere) He was recognised by the Admiralty for an act of courage. A lighting unit, which in those days was fed by steam, blew up while he was on watch below!

His prompt action in groping his way to the master switch and turning this off put him in hospital with burns, but his actions averted what might have been a tragedy.

I have tried the Log Records of HMS Sapphire but although it appears they appear in Summary Extracts, I can find no record of my Grandfathers bravery and or the type of medal he was awarded. Sadly he died in 1971 aged 84 but I do know he was a very hard working upright man after leaving the Navy. Always strong and helpful setting up his own Gardening Firewood Business in Gravesend after bring is family son & daughter my mother, back from Canada helping to build the Canadian National/Pacific Railways

Any help or records from the Logs or other records of the award of Medals for Courage would be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Barry M. Jordan  MICWCI

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 13:49, seaJane said:

The National Archives has five RN seamen called Percy Lawrence (and one Percy Lawrence Wells), some with middle names, born in Kent, but none on that date: 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Percy+Lawrence+ADM+Kent

img061.jpgimg062.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:07, BARRY M JORDAN said:

Thank you in advance

Barry M. Jordan  MICWCI

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:25, james_harvey said:

Thank you for this helpful info to help further I attach extracts from the Gravesend Reporter at the times of my Grandfathers Golden and Diamond Anniversary. I hope these statements will help find exactly what and when he was awarded the Medal. He was not one for telling untruth's In meantime I will continue my own search via the web sites noted.

Best Wishes Grandson Barry M. Jordan Proud of my Grandfather.

img061.jpg

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for this info. I have placed two extracts from the local Gravesend Reporter at the time of my Grandfather's GOLDEN & DIAMOND wedding anniversary.(Married in 1911) to my Nan Sylvia.

My Grandfather was a Petty Officer Stoker and his full name was Percy Richard Lawrence

I have a photograph of him proud to be wearing his Naval Uniform circa 1912

ANY FURTHER  help will always be appreciated

Thank you again

Barry M. Jordan

img061.jpg.fad5cbb54d545be8112828c87e421a94[1].jpg

img062.jpg.371e1030e2d953359bf078ecd39714a6[1].jpg

This man, Percy LAWRANCE (in ADM 188 at Kew) but Percy LAWRENCE in (in the ADM 171 RN medal roll,) has the correct date of birth but at "Coombes, Kent".

ADM 188 record of service is here:-   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6775061

Enlisting in 1906, the medal roll shows him qualifying for Victory and British War Medals (no 1914-15 Star) as a Leading Stoker. The ADM 188 record may show the bravery award you seek.

I think you will find the sailor identified by Horatio2 above is your grandfather    Percy Lawrance 309771 (Chatham)

Note as pointed out by Horatio2   (Lawrance on servivce paper)

Joined in 1906 for a period of 12 years  served on Sapphire from 1906 -1910, shore by purchase 1910

rejoined RFR Chatham 1910 called up for service Aug 1914  Shore on demob Dec 18

As well as on the National Archives from the link provided by Horatio2 his service document can be found on Ancestry Here or Find my past Here

Maybe one of our navy experts will be able to give you a breakdown of his service  from the document

Regards Ray

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 17:36, horatio2 said:

This man, Percy LAWRANCE (in ADM 188 at Kew) but Percy LAWRENCE in (in the ADM 171 RN medal roll,) has the correct date of birth but at "Coombes, Kent".

ADM 188 record of service is here:-   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6775061

Enlisting in 1906, the medal roll shows him qualifying for Victory and British War Medals (no 1914-15 Star) as a Leading Stoker. The ADM 188 record may show the bravery award you seek.

Dear Ray & Horatio 2,

This is wonderful news

Thank you both very much, yes these records seem to be certainly my Grandfather Percy Richard Lawrence  ADM 171 RN, my records show that he was born COOMBE HOUSE, St May's Hoo in Kent 24th June 1887 I will now try the web site you note above for the medal roll.  Please let me know when time allows what ADM stands for and why there appears to be 2 ADM's (188 at Kew and ADM 171 RN and the mention of Percy LawrAnce 309771 (Chatham) See snap attached

You both will have gathered that I am so proud of my Grandfather who after the Navy worked hard to raise my mother Vera and her brother Richard. With my Gran Sylvia, they all went to Canada for my Grandfather to work as a Foreman on the Canadian Pacific/National Railway Construction at Rivers just outside of Winnipeg. I shall continue seeking help and information for my Portfolio of such a man of those days gone by. Shame many of the men today in authority are not with my Grandfathers ethics. Best Regards Barry M Jordan HNC/MICWCI

img064.jpg