Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Museum of Army Chaplaincy, Amport House

The Scorer

Does anyone have any contact details for this, please?

I've sent an e-mail to the address on the web site - but received no reply, not even an acknowledgement. I've rung the direct number, left a message referring to the e-mail - but again, no reply. Finally, I've rung what I take to be the switchboard, left a similar message to the first call - but still no reply!

I think that it's a pretty poor show that I haven't even had an acknowledgement, so I'd like to ask for your help in making contact, please. Any suggestions that you have will be welcome - please post here or send me a PM if you can help.

Thank you.

When I visited the museum some ten years ago, I got the impression that it was a one-man show. Perhaps with

the sale of Amport House

(as already reported here on the GWF) activities there are winding down. Maybe David Blake has left and there's no one to pick up his phone messages and emails?

Recently in connection with another query posted here, I emailed a medical museum, using the contact email address on the local hospital website. An automated reply advised that the addressee was retiring on December 31 (which year wasn't stated) and giving another email address at the hospital. No reply to my query. (My own experience of the hospital's contacts list is that it is not kept up to date.)

Still, good luck with your quest.

(And no doubt some of us will be wondering what will happen to the collection when Amport House is sold. The archive collection of the Royal Army Chaplains' Department was formerly housed at Bagshot Park, Surrey and then at Netheravon House, Wiltshire. It moved to Amport in 2001.)

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker
ancillary info

2 hours ago, The Scorer said:

Thank you - these are the contacts I have used, with no luck!

Anything you can come up with will be appreciated - thanks again.

PM sent.

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

When I visited the museum some ten years ago, I got the impression that it was a one-man show. Perhaps with

the sale of Amport House

(as already reported here on the GWF) activities there are winding down. Maybe David Blake has left and there's no one to pick up his phone messages and emails?

Recently in connection with another query posted here, I emailed a medical museum, using the contact email address on the local hospital website. An automated reply advised that the addressee was retiring on December 31 (which year wasn't stated) and giving another email address at the hospital. No reply to my query. (My own experience of the hospital's contacts list is that it is not kept up to date.)

Still, good luck with your quest.

(And no doubt some of us will be wondering what will happen to the collection when Amport House is sold. The archive collection of the Royal Army Chaplains' Department was formerly housed at Bagshot Park, Surrey and then at Netheravon House, Wiltshire. It moved to Amport in 2001.)

Moonraker

Thank you; you could be right, and when / if I find anything, I'll let everyone know.

Well, I've had a reply from David Blake, who's given me quite a bit of information.

It seems that I was using the wrong e-mail address originally, which is why I didn't get a reply. This is what he's told me:

"Thank you for your enquiry. Please note my correct work email address. 

Generally speaking, you can visit between Monday to Friday 09.00 to 17.00  ALL VISITS BY APPOINTMENT. I am out of office on 18 October.  I have other visits arranged on 26 Oct, 27 Oct, 31 Oct, 4 Nov, 17 Nov. So if you could avoid these dates, I am sure we can come to a mutually convenient time and date.

There is an infrequent bus service from Andover to Amport.  The best method of travel is taxi from Andover Railway Station.  There is no direct bus service between Amport and Middle Wallop.

I look forward to hearing from you."

So, it's now for me to look at possible dates and travel arrangements and arrange a visit.

Sorry to learn that Amport House is going.  My brother and I spent a marvellous Christmas there when we were teenagers, and had the run of the place to ourselves.  

Scorer,

This looks to me to be a thread that would be of interest to far more people than just the few who are still on Skindles - Skindles is really for non-Great War stuff: rants, jokes, dead pets, comparing notes on our chemotherapy and heavens knows what else.

Perhaps you could start a thread about all this important issue in "other Great War chat" or perhaps one of the other sections (?) so that the whole forum can see it.

William

Edited by WilliamRev
grammar

I think if you asked,  the Mods would move   the whole topic from Skindles to "Other Great War Chat" (or other section)

"Contact Us" link at bottom of GWF Home Page

Cheers

Maureen 

Edited by Maureene

Having seen the last two posts I will move this topic to "Other Great War Chat" as suggested.

Keith Roberts

• 4 months later...

Just sold a postcard on eBay and the buyer's address was Amport House. The card was sent in 1918 by an army chaplain called Ploweden-Wardlaw to his son Thomas at the Beacon School, Crowborough.

Moonraker