Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown badge identification

james_harvey

I have a ww1 badge that is a wv interlocked with a crown on top, I've been told it stands for woman volunteer but have no other information

regards

james

image.jpeg

Edited by james_harvey

Have a look at:

It's the Women's Voluntary Service (formed in 1938), later given Royal title as the WRVS.  In WW2 the women served at canteens for troops and in other war work to serve the community.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I've got a 1938 badge and it states WVS and I have another one with ARP with WVS below. I also have a later wrvs badge. The wvs were not allowed to use the crown until after given royal status.

i still believe it's a ww1 badge possible for factory work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 11:18, james_harvey said:

I've got a 1938 badge and it states WVS and I have another one with ARP with WVS below. I also have a later wrvs badge. The wvs were not allowed to use the crown until after given royal status.

i still believe it's a ww1 badge possible for factory work.

That's interesting James, I am sure that the answer is out there somewhere.  Perhaps it is an early pattern of WRVS lapel badge shortly after they were granted the Royal appellation and entitlement to wear a crown.  Interestingly the overall triangular shape with the broad side at the top was a consistent feature of WVS and WRVS badges so I think there is a strong clue there.  The badges are common and readily available here:  http://picclick.co.uk/WW2-Womens-Voluntary-Service-WV-Lapel-Badge-191951885148.html  They appear to be serially numbered (and thus auditable) on the back.

I enclose a badge circa WW2 that also uses just the WV logo.  It was apparently used by the Dorking, Surrey, branch.

454e24c4de34739290a0d5a8162071c8.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

James, I've disagreed with Frogsmile a couple of times in the past, but I'm happy to say I completely agree with him here. Your badge is not of the WW1 period, I'm afraid. It is the Womens' Voluntary Service.

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 00:36, james_harvey said:

I have a ww1 badge that is a wv interlocked with a crown on top, I've been told it stands for woman volunteer but have no other information

regards

james

image.jpeg

Sorry to disagree with you but the badge has nothing to do with the WVS.
This is the Voluntary Worker badge awarded by the DGVO (Director General of Voluntary  Organisations) to workers on completion of 30 hours voluntary work. 

They could wear the badge as long as they did regular work, if this stopped they had to hand the badge back. It was awarded to both men and women. Members of the British Red Cross Society, St John's Ambulance, and Queen Mary's Needlework Guild were ineligible as they had their own awards. All other charities registered under the War Charities act 1916 were eligible.
At the end of the war all workers were allowed to keep their badges. Some groups used their remaining funds to award badges of their own, others ribbons or clasps to be worn with the VW badge. The final report of the DGVO details all the organisations and the number of  badges retained. 

K2bPH7Ye1N21yyX7tKdbSJ4N.jpg

I believe this certificate to have been awarded at the end of the war by the Belgravia WHSD. I am not sure if the VW badges were issued with certificates.

Andy 

That's very interesting information Andy and thank you for posting it.  Quite happy to see that my assessment was wrong, one learns something new every day, which is a big part of the enjoyment of visiting this site.  James (the OP) will I am sure be pleased too as it shows the original information he was given to be correct.  It is easy to see how there might be some confusion given that the WVS did, in some cases, use a similar badge during WW2.  I wonder if they were inspired by some members having formerly earned the badge you show during WW1.

Many thanks guys for your help.

shame a record wasn't kept of the serial numbers

13 hours ago, james_harvey said:

Many thanks guys for your help.

shame a record wasn't kept of the serial numbers

A central register was kept but whether it still exists is unknown. 

Andy 

• 4 years later...

Just spotted on an old family photo - my Great Grandmother wearing one of these badges - gives an idea of the size. 

20201217_131106.jpg