Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Llandyrnog War Memorial

MotherMave

Hi, I am researching the men on the WW1 Llandyrnog War Memorial and there are a few men who I have very little on, one - 

Parish of Llandyrnog Roll of Honour

1914 - 1918

John WILLIAMS    R.W.F.

Killed in Action in France

3rd September 1916

and 

Arthur PARRY    Denbighshire Hussars

Killed in Action in France

17th April 1917 - apparently they lived at Wern, Llandyrnog

I found an Arthur Lloyd Parry who died on the same day and was in the Hussars, but he and his family had been born in Llandudno and in fact that was where his mother Dorothy filled in and signed the Declaration, so unless Arthur moved after the 1911 Census, it may not be the right Arthur.  John Williams, I have nothing on except what was written on the Roll of Honour and I don't know whoever made the list got his/her information from other than the name, as that's all that was written on the War Memorial.   Any help would be appreciated, many thanks in advance.   Kind regards, Mavis Williams

I can't find a John Williams of the RWF being killed on that date.
There's a Richard John Williams killed on September 5th but not the 3rd.

An A.Parry and J.Williams are both named on the Llandyrnog panel of the North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch, in Bangor, Gwynedd.

The Denbighshire Hussars never served as a unit in France, so Parry must have been transferred to another unit.  Since Arthur Lloyd Parry was indeed a former Denbigh Yeoman (enlisted in Wrexham early December 1914), and died on 17 April 1917 after transferring to the 1st Bn. Cheshire Regiment, he would seem to be a contender.  Mens' middle names are not always recorded - there are numerous examples of this.  Geoff's Search Engine, when asked to show all Parrys who died in April 1917 (as recorded by CWGC), only gives this man and another with an A. initial.  The other was an A.C.Parry with the Liverpool Regt. and resident in that city, who died 9 April.  A.L.Parry is commemorated at Llandudno on the town memorial and in Holy Trinity Parish Church, the latter giving the Cheshires as his unit.  

So the problem in relation to him isn't the given information but his link to a parish where at present there is no evidence he lived or worked.  Few Parrys were resident in Llandyrnog in the 1911 Census (none an Arthur); and Wern Farm (as opposed to Glan y Wern Hall and Farm) was tenanted by a Mr Owen - in 1901 it was a Mr Jones.

Clive  

Thank you both for your efforts on my behalf, I feel better knowing that you have reached the same conclusion as me, but will have to keep on looking, they are a bit of a mystery.  I don't know who wrote the dates or Regimental information on the Roll of Honour as it was printed (as in typed) and that's the only source of the information that I gave you.    Their names are on the War Memorial, but only their names, Arthur PARRY in full and just J. WILLIAMS.    Thanks again, Regards, Mavis