Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

56th Company Machine Gun Corps

wpf1958

I am trying to get some information on 56th Company Machine Gun Corps from the summer of 1916 through to The Battle of Messines. I am researching Captain George Bell Purvis who served with them for that period after serving with 5th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment. Captain Purvis died on Friday 8th June 1917 and is buried in Klein-Vierstraat.

I cannot trace any War Diaries for the Company covering the period.

Any information on the above would be gratefully received.

Wilhelm

Dear Chris

Thanks so much, now have the diaries and am wading through!

Your advice is much appreciated.

Wilhelm

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Wilhelm,

This man is from my home town of Bridlington in East Yorkshire, and I have developed a passing interest as I intent to visit his grave next year and tour the area.

Could I ask what  your interest is and what do you have on the man so far please.

Garry

Hi Garry

Thank for the info. I live about a mile from the cemetery. The info on him I have got so far is:

George was born at home on Thursday 1st September 1892, younger son of Major John Bowlt Purvis, and Charlotte Annie Purvis, of 6 Princess Terrace, Bridlington, Yorkshire. He had an elder brother, John Stanley, and younger sister, Hilda Mary. George was educated at Bridlington Grammar School where he the Senior Cadet in the OTC and won the Shooting Cup in 1909 and 1910.
He was gazetted on Monday 8th June 1914, promoted to Lieutenant on Sunday 18th April 1915 and Captain on 15th September 1916.

Hope that is of interest.

All best wishes

Wilhelm

Hi Wilhelm, many thanks for the update. I have a book done by a local Bridlington historian. He has done a piece on every name on the local cenotaph. I have a great uncle listed in the book and buried at Dickiebusch, I visit his grave every time I come over. Anyway as the chairman of the Lincoln branch Western Front Association I' m hoping to come over early April and look to research a local man, in this case Captain Purvis and visit his grave as I want to see and get a better understanding of the Messines sector, perhaps we could meet. Regards Garry

Hi Garry

It would be great to meet up, let me know when you are coming over. I was Hon Secretary of the WFA at the beginning when John Giles founded the Association. I set up the regional branches, organised the tours, started the Bulletin amongst a few other things!

If you go to my website my contact details are on it or send me a message thing and I will give you my contact details that way.

All the best

Wilhelm