Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German "stick" grenade

BottsGreys

Grenadedom not being my forte, I guess the word should have been "ignited" (or initiated), other than "armed." Thanks guys, for the information--very enlightening.

Chris

There are usually 2 safety features: before you screw the "Coke Can" on to the wooden stick you had to remove a piece of paper or similar material that acted as a barrier between detonator and explosive mass; the 2nd feature (as depicted in your pic) : you had to first pullout and than pull off a cord attached to the detonator in the stick; this was the arming process and you better count to 3 and throw it to the Brits ;), count to 5 when throwing to the Aussis :lol:

P.S. When going into battle the first safety device (paper clip) was removed in preparation for assault; later they only had to pull the string/cord- and there he goes

Great info all around everyone and greatly appreciated. As Andy said, very interesting, In all the war movies and war television shows I've seen during my 45 years (going back to Combat! in the 1960s), I've often been shown the Americans "pulling the pin" on their grenades before throwing them, but I can't ever recall a movie or show (even some reasonably good ones) showing a German soldier igniting the fuse on his potato masher before throwing it.

Chris

Watch the Australian Movie, The Lighthorsemen, with Peter Phelps, Anthony Andrews, Tony Bonner, Sigrid Thornton, directed by Simon Wincer. The end scene has an attack against a Turkish controlled town, a wounded Turkish soldier pulls a stick grenade out, unscrews the cap and pulls the porcelain ball and string to ignite the fuze, one of the few I have seen as well. Another movie, Westfront 1918, in German with subtitles and I believe another is Stosstrupp 1917.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph--I'll look for that scene in The Lighthorsemen--the added bonus will be Sigrid Thornton (of the Snowy River movies fame).

Chris