Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German destroyer rudders

yperman

Good morning,

I wonder if someone could kindly  explain why German destroyers (grosse torpedoboote class) had a rudder just aft of their forefoot please? Jane's has a photo (on p119)  of T130 in heavy seas which shows an example.

Many thanks,

Yperman

The same photo is in Le Fleming's Warships of WW1 (p206). I have always assumed that the bow rudder was to assist in manoeuvring in confined spaces. I think ferries had them at one time.

Roger M

Sometimes it's good to have a spare!

965b1ae4-5601-40f7-96bb-c1f3862bd320_zps

Sorry, couldn't resist that

For the real answer see page 176 of German Warships of World War 1The Royal Navy's Official Guide to the Capital Ships, Cruisers, Destroyers, Submarines and Small Craft, 1914-1918 [Naval Institute Press, 1 Jan 1992]

In destroyers the bow rudder is situated below the keel about 12 feet abaft the stem. It can be raised into a recess in the hull by means of a fine pitched screw, and has to be so raised before the boat can be taken in tow. It is always used when manoeuvrings, as the steering capabilities are insufficient without it.”

regards

Michael

Looking at the original photo I had also wondered if it helped in a heavy sea. At least one rudder would probably be in the water. Though it might have been odd in a heavy see to alternate control between the fore and aft rudders depending on which was in the water.

Roger M

Thank you all very much.

Yperman

11 hours ago, rolt968 said:

to alternate control between the fore and aft rudders depending on which was in the water.

That would have been a very difficult manoeuvre indeed!

It is interesting to note that the above mentioned book also states that - “In some of the very latest destroyers, however no bow rudder is fitted”

regards

Michael

13 hours ago, michaeldr said:

That would have been a very difficult manoeuvre indeed!

It is interesting to note that the above mentioned book also states that - “In some of the very latest destroyers, however no bow rudder is fitted”

regards

Michael

I also thought it could be a bit difficult. (A bit like the four wheel steering in some WW2 scout cars, perhaps, which was subsequently removed?)

Roger M