Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Exhibitions

Gareth Davies

This may be of interest.  I must admit that Scarlett's work doesn't do it for me, and Hughie is probably in the same category, but the Whitgift trench and associated exhibits look worth a visit.

http://londonist.com/2016/07/5-exhibitions-to-reflect-on-the-somme-100-years-on?utm_content=bufferfe44c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Gareth

The Whitgift Exhibition is definately worth a visit. I have just written to them to suggest they clarify on their website for how long the Exhibition will run. The site you link to suggests it would finish on 31 August (which was the original date) but I think it is now going on to next Easter 2017.

Neil

I contacted the School a couple of weeks ago, when they said that they were looking at extending it until the end of the year.

This would be good for me, as I'm possibly going to be there between C******** and New Year, and I agreed that I'd contact them nearer my visit to make sure. I'm still planning to do that, so I'll let everyone know what response I get when I do.

i have just heard from the School's archivist that the Exhibition at Whitgift is continuing until 16 April 2017.

Neil

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:52, Neil Mackenzie said:

i have just heard from the School's archivist that the Exhibition at Whitgift is continuing until 16 April 2017.

Neil

Ah, that's great news - thanks.

Yes. It's a bit out of the way but I am going to try and get there.

19 hours ago, The Scorer said:

Ah, that's great news - thanks.

Most definitely worth a visit. While there buy a copy of the excellent guide book.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 09:38, Paddy 60th said:

Most definitely worth a visit. While there buy a copy of the excellent guide book.

I don't normally buy guidebooks for attractions, but I might do so on this occasion if it's good; thanks for the tip.

On 03/10/2016 at 08:50, The Scorer said:

I don't normally buy guidebooks for attractions, but I might do so on this occasion if it's good; thanks for the tip.

It is more than just a guidebook ; there are lots of excellent pictures of some of the artifacts in the exhibition together with a lot of information in a nicely produced book. I got mine from the shop/cafe and it is probablyalso  available in the entrance to the exhibition.

• 4 months later...
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 13:59, Grovetown said:

R16 Free Entry.jpg

It's a pity that you're not still open on Easter Monday (17th April), as that would have been a good time for me to visit, but I'll have to see what I can do on another day before then.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I made a visit to this yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's one of the best of it's type I have ever seen, and included lots of stuff that I hadn't seen before. Although it's arranged by the school and there's references to old boys and teachers, it's about much more than that, which makes it so good. What also added to the pleasure was the attitude of the staff, who were very good, and helped me with my visit.

If you can get there and haven't so far, do go ... it's worth travelling!