Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery badge, Any experts able to I.D.

HarryBettsMCDCM

Thanks HarryBettsMCDCM

Your knowledge is appreciated, I presume the other badge is Dutch as well (blurred pic)

Damien

I would say so with the Torch of Learning & other devices I would hazard a Guess & say it is an Academy/Military Apprentices Badge Similar in design to the UK Army Apprentices College Badge,Which has the Torch,Gear Swords & Cross..

• 1 month later...
It is Dutch, WW2 or Later,Not sure of the Unit,Could be Cuirasseurs,or Armoured.

It is Dutch - the large "W" in these Dutch badges is in honour of Queen Wilhelmina. IIRC the "W" badges were first issued in 1948. They were still being worn when I lived in Holland 1979-1980.

The badge in question depicts St George, who is also the patron saint of cavalry. The coloured backing tells you which individual unit the soldier was serving in.

This is from memory, and a Dutch member can correct me. However, the basic rectangle shaped badge backing was blue. Each of the three Hussar Regiments had different coloured ends to the backing, white, red and a darker blue?.

IIRC the Cavalry Depot had just a plain blue backing.

Dutch Army Cavalry Badge Backing. Arm of service colour - light blue

Plain light blue backing worn by depot etc

Light blue backing with dark blue piping - "Van Boreel's Hussars" (Huzaren van Boreel.) Instituted by (Royal Dutch) Army Order No 57 of 1947.

Light blue backing with Ponceau red piping - "Prins Alexander's Hussars" (Huzaren van Prins Alexander.) Instituted by (Royal Dutch) Army Order No 35 of 1951.

Light blue backing with white piping - "Van Sytzama's Hussars" (Huzaren van Sytzama.) Instituted by (Royal Dutch) Army Order No 59 of 1952.