Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Edward Gadsby, Royal Defence Corps?

daggers

A local memorial plaque in Liverpool names 'Gadsby, J.E.', and no ranks, units or dates are given for any of the names.  The plaque commemorates former members of '5th Cadet Battalion, Liverpool Regiment' and most of those who I have tracked down were born about 1900/01.

I have found a John Edward Gadsby, born and baptised in Liverpool at the right time, but have found no traces in the usual online sources, other than in Lives of the Great War, with which I am not familiar.  It lists Pte J.E. Gadsby, Royal Defence Corps, 102 Protectorate [sic] Company.  No dates of birth or death are given.

I have not yet found a civil registration for a matching death in the war period.

Can anyone please advise me how I can obtain more from the 'Lives' site?  Do I have to register?

EDIT TO ADD:

I have now found that the National Archives had a medal index card for this man.  It is not the conventional card but gives date of enlistment as 9/1/15, discharge as 7/1/18, cause of discharge 'A.O.265/7, 2d', with 'S' below.  Against Action Taken is 'List TP2218'.

As I believe the RDC served in UK only is it likely that he would have been entitled to any medal?  Any interpretation of these notes would be helpful.

Daggers

Edited by daggers
extra

Daggers,

I can't remember the ins and outs of Lives, but do remember that it was too much fuss at some point when I came across it.

Your man from 102nd Protection Company has a SWB card and was apparently 52 when he was discharged in January 1918. I couldn't find a death for him during the CWGC qualifying period, or after. Neither could I find a birth for him circa 1866. Looking at the CWGC entries for the Company, it appears to have been London based, although its manpower was drawn from throughout.

The 1901 man appears to have died in December Quarter 1971 (FreeBMD).

Phil

Phil

Thank you for your comments.  The RDC man is probably far too old to be one of those I have traced on the memorial, so can be ruled out.  The 1900-1971 man was my best candidate until I found his death. 

Until I can find more about the Cadet battalion I fear I am stymied with quite a few 'popular' names and some like Gadsby.

Daggers