Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Intelligence Officer Ireland 1919 - 1921

RedCoat

Hello all,

I have a query relating to my great grandfather Major P. D. Desbrow MC. During the Irish War of Independence my great grandfather served first as an Intelligence Officer and later as a military court judge / official. I have confirmed via online records some of his court service in Waterford during the year of 1921 where he was involved in some very interesting cases however i am keen to learn more about his role as an Intelligence Officer.

It would appear he was in Ireland during 1920 and wonder if he had any connection to the pre Bloody Sunday intelligence officer purge instigated by Michael Collins. I understand the list was originally at 50 victims but lowered to 35. Is there a surviving list of the 50?

Any help on how to proceed with gaining further info on his role in Ireland would be fantastic.

Regards, D.

Captain P. D. Desbrow gets 17 mentions under findmypast's Irish records "Easter rising and Ireland under martial law 1916-21. A quick looks like mostly as a member of courts of inquiry into various deaths/murders in Waterford.

Looks like he spent quite a bit of time in Ireland  listening to the evidence of the various witnesses.

Mark

• DavidOwen locked this topic
  • DavidOwen unlocked this topic