Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Hartigan.Munster Fusiliers.

Murrough

Pte.Thomas Hartigan,5126 1st Royal Munster Fusiliers.A native of Clarina Co.Limerick,Ireland.He enlisted in January 1915 and went to Gallipoli

in July 1915, he suffered GSW to arm and was returned to UK.

Discharged in July 1916 suffering from TB, illness was aggravated by active service.He died 19/2/1917 and death was caused by TB.

Have attached part of service record,report of medical report, and cause of death from Irish death record which also states he was a soldier.

any advice on the next step would be appreciated.

hartigan dc 2.jpg

hartigsn 5.jpg

You will need to purchase his Death Certificate and, either contact CWGC yourself or send DC and link to Pension papers to Terry Denham/Chris Harley. Well done!

Not sure whether purchase of death certificate would be required for these now available through the Irish National Archives, it depends whether MOD/CWGC feel the certification aspect of actually buying a copy is actually necessary (after all they could repeat the search themselves to prove the authenticity of the image

Thank you both for your valuable information, Pte.Hartigans case will be put forward and Museumtom is looking into locating grave.

Regards,

M.

• 1 month later...

The only extra piece of info from the Medal Rolls is that he landed in Gallipoli 20th July 1915 (1914/15 Star Roll)

Discharged 29 July 1916. Death not noted. From serial number, probably enlisted into 3rd SR Bn who were stationed prewar at Tralee Depot but at this time (1915-16) in Aghada Co. Cork. They provided a large draft to rebuild 1st Bn at this time with many ex-Lancers. Interesting case of a death after discharge not recorded, although it should be. Can also see if he got the Silver War Badge.

I have a case of a Killarney RMF officer DOW Gassing November 1917 after discharge - have everything except the grave location !

Pierce Franklin Martin, died 13/10/1917 is buried at Killeagney, Muckross, County Kerry

Thomas Hartigan's burial location is still not known.

Much appreciated ! dare I ask how you found that out ?! He was from the small local Methodist congregation and i thought they could help but no luck, not the C of I either, on whose parish roll of honour he is listed.....

Cork Examiner. 15/10/1917. 6220. Martin-On October 13th, at Killarney, 2nd Lieutenant Pierce Franklin (Percy), dearly-loved son of William and Nellie Martin, as the result of gassing. Funeral on this day (Monday), at 12 o’clock, to Killeagny, Muckross.

Thanks ! I have the Irish Times cutting but it did not give that info. He is another war related death not on the CW War Graves comm. records...or the original Officers Died in The Great war

Edited by staunton

• 2 weeks later...

Regret Pte.Thomas Hartigan 5126 RMF is not in the Silver War Badge Rolls. Although he appears to have been eligible, the SWB was introduced late 1916 and there may have been an element of those eligible having to take the initiative to apply for it, rather than it being issued automatically,

12 minutes ago, staunton said:

Regret Pte.Thomas Hartigan 5126 RMF is not in the Silver War Badge Rolls. Although he appears to have been eligible, the SWB was introduced late 1916 and there may have been an element of those eligible having to take the initiative to apply for it, rather than it being issued automatically,

Men discharged pre the SWB being introduced would have to make a retrospective application - not all did. Those who were leaving the army after the badge was authorised appear to have been given the claims forms to sign but again it appears that not all did.

Craig

Thanks Craig ! good to know, I got the NMP CD ROM, great source but reporting output is only 1 record at a time; nice for individual researches, but frustrating for the regimental level...

Martin