Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancs Regt

Bernard_Lewis

Although researching the Swansea Bn my grandfather served in the S.Lancs. His number was 14814 - Pte D.T.Lewis from Swansea. Any idea which battalion that number was likely to relate to? Looked for him at Kew but no obvious match? I hope to research his service at a future date.

Bernard Lewis

• 7 years later...
Although researching the Swansea Bn my grandfather served in the S.Lancs. His number was 14814 - Pte D.T.Lewis from Swansea. Any idea which battalion that number was likely to relate to? Looked for him at Kew but no obvious match? I hope to research his service at a future date.

Bernard Lewis

Hello Bernard,

Just browsing and came across your post!! (Idle fingers etc!!!) My great uncle's Regtl Number was 14775 and he joined up in Sep 1914 in Lancashire - he enlisted into the 8th (Service) Bn South Lancashire Regt. I've noted a much later post(2010) about Welsh lads who enlisted in 8th South Lancs.

Cheers,

Martin :thumbsup:

Thanks Martin; Just saw your PM on this. The 8th link looks quite likely. I've not taken this any further actually but I will bear this in mind when I look at it again.

Thanks again.

Bernard

Hey, hey! Having recently taken out an A***y sub Martin's response to my 2002 post prompted me to look at the site re my grand-dad. I found the medal card and it is the 8th battalion. Even better a fuzzy type search turned up a number of other images relating to my grand-dad (who died before I was born) and includes details of his wounds plus a couple of letters he wrote to the WO. My dad (85 and going strong) will be chuffed.

Thanks again, Martin, for providing the impetus for what I thought was a cold trail.

Bernard

Hey, hey! Having recently taken out an A***y sub Martin's response to my 2002 post prompted me to look at the site re my grand-dad. I found the medal card and it is the 8th battalion. Even better a fuzzy type search turned up a number of other images relating to my grand-dad (who died before I was born) and includes details of his wounds plus a couple of letters he wrote to the WO. My dad (85 and going strong) will be chuffed.

Thanks again, Martin, for providing the impetus for what I thought was a cold trail.

Bernard

Hello Bernard,

No worries, glad to be of help!

Cheers,

Martin :thumbsup: