Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charley's War

Charley Bourne

There is a second part (3rd really... part 2 covers the Russian Civil war) ... following Charley's escapades in the Russian Civil War, a couple of episodes deal with the inter-war period with Charley obtaining a council house, gaining a trade as a mechanic, being unemployed during the depression years and meeting up with 'Old Bill' Tozer again in 1933 (working as a doorman for the new 'King Kong' movie)... all with the background of the rise of Hitler. WW2 then breaks out and Charley's son Len (by now a 2/Lt in the RE) is posted as missing so Charley enlists in order to find him (a background story covers the home-front with his brother in law, 'Oily' , becoming embroiled in the Black Market and his wife being arrested... Bill Tozer (by now a Home Guard RSM) saves the day of course).  Many characters and events during the battle of France are in these episodes (Charley hunting a sniper, fighting a German head-case tankie called 'Attila the Hun', witnessing the La Paradis massacre, taking part in a '2 man and 1 woman' stand against overwhelming odds, being in a train wreck, fighting with the French colonials, saving an RAF pilot on the beaches of Dunkirk before finally finding Len and being evacuated where , after 'fighting his last battle' in his last war, Charley's story ends.

Slightly different in style to the WW1 story (I don't think, off memory, that Pat Mills was the writer), but absolutely superb anyway (and I'm lucky enough to have collected all the episodes together when they were first published!)

Dave.

6 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

WW2 then breaks out and Charley's son Len (by now a 2/Lt in the RE) is posted as missing so Charley enlists in order to find him

Dave.

Put us out of our misery - does he find Len??

I'm still mourning the loss of Charley's brother Wilf

A sad day...

Capt Snell

15th Royal Westshires

And please don't get me started on Weeper Watkins....

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 02:39, Charley Bourne said:

...And you think that there are no more episodes of that "second part"?...

There're definitely no more episodes after the Dunkirk evacuation. The final clip of the story is Charley sat on an evacuation boat with his son Len asleep next to him (there's your answer ,Nigel!) as he reminisces and thinks back to a time 'long ago' when he first enlisted...and then, full circle, the story begins again. A sort of endless loop if you read through the whole story.

Dave

Here's the 'loop' image that connects back to Charley's 1st World War story...

Dave

Image1.jpg

2 hours ago, Charley Bourne said:

Unfortunately, the WW2 story has never been republished. 

Dave

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Just found the first two volumes at the library in Leuven, in a new Dutch translation... I guess it's going to take a while before they have them all out, but I have all the time in the world for that. three and four should be lying around somewhere!!

Looking forward to the first two tomes!! Lecture for this week-end!

M.

• 1 month later...

in the second Tome he's still annoying everybody... will get 3 and 4 next visit.

M.