Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strand M.C.: 22 yr old Captain Killed Accidentally

laughton

A 22 year old Captain was accidentally killed in October 1914, as reported by French residents in Belgium. There are 56 candidates and most can be eliminated by the age. This would appear to be a case that could be solved by those that have access to the service records, as would not an accidental death be recorded?

List of 56 Candidates in Excel Spreadsheet 

doc2154700.JPG

I had a quick look around the effects records and I couldn't see any of them (the one's without the age shown) who died accidentally.

Craig

I had a look in casualty lists for the 20 with no age given.

I took a guess that he may have been reported missing before being reported killed?

Anson, Jackson, Kelly and Spottiswoode all have a reported missing status, dates vary from 3rd Sept to 5th Dec.

I can only find Jackson and Spottiswoode as 'killed' in the casualty lists for 1914.

Spottiswoode is in Daily list of 24/12/14 'previously reported missing now reported believed killed'. His 'missing' list is 19/11/14.

Jackson is missing in Daily lists 3/9/14 and killed in same of 25/11/14.

Anson, missing DL 30/10/14

Kelly, missing DL 5/12/14 (bit odd if CWGC have his death in October)

Anyone find an age for John Spottiswoode?

TEW

Spottiswoode was born in 1874, and Bond of Sacrifice claims he died at the head of his company. 

A good thought about his being reported missing.  How could the locals know he was 22, but not his name? Confusing.

Wonder if they got the rank correct??

What sort of accident could take place without other British troops in the vicinity with only local residents witnessing the accident and burying the man??

EDF Kelly has been on forum before and seems to be a KIA.

GL Anson is also a KIA. Google.

TEW

If it's C28 or B28 it's just east or just west of Armentieres. Not much of a village in either location. Both have a L'Epinette but outside square c.

There are 2 buildings at C.28.c.25 and nothing at B.28.c.25.

The spreadsheet of 56 names has been filtered for those on Ploegstreet memorial and Menin Gate. Could he be commorated elsewhere? Remove the filter and you get 158 results.

TEW

I was wondering the same about the locals but they may just have remember some details rather than having buried him. That being said though I agree with IPT as to how they would have know this - perhaps there was a cross at some point that they remembered details from.

The piece of string for this one is long.

Craig

You're right about the cross. It says he had one on the burial return.

Although, is it possible he was wearing civilian clothing if there were no military clues in the grave?

Concentration sheet is dated Feb 1920. Are the locals explaining the circumstances and giving information in 1920 remembered from 1914?

TEW

Just a thought but wouldn't the age of 22 years be rather young for a Captain at this stage of the war?

2 minutes ago, MelPack said:

Just a thought but wouldn't the age of 22 years be rather young for a Captain at this stage of the war?

He could always have been made up to fill a role as acting captain - in which case he may well be noted only as a Lt on other records.

Craig

22 was right at the bottom of the age range for Captain. A.E.C.T. Dooner, 22, was a Captain i nthe RWF, killed 31/10/1914. He's the youngest. It does make the story slightly more unlikely, in my opinion.

By the way, what does "NO REMAINS" refer to?

All assuming,  He was a soldier 

Could he not have been a British Navy Captain 

October 1914 The Race To The Sea

Regards Ray

Edited by RaySearching

Not sure about the 'no remains'. I wonder if the 'memorial cross' refers to the UBS above in which case perhaps 'no remains' refers to the Captain's cross. Not sure how 'no (human) remains' could be concentrated elsewhere.

The concentration sheet seems to be designed for 2 entries only, the larger row relating to the smaller one above?

TEW