Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

la - Boisselle

Grandpacarr

Early next year I will be visiting the Western Front for around 4 days with a friend, being a Geordie he would like to spend some time at the Lochnagar Crater, and if at all possible depending upon field conditions (Crops etc) walk accross to la -Boisselle for a spot of lunch and look around the Glory Hole. Does anyone know if access is available to the Glory Hole and is it possible to visit the tunnels underground or not. Can underground visits be pre - booked ? I am aware of a change of management at the site but being an area I have only ever driven past I would like to get as much information as posible in order my friends visit can be as informative as possible.

Hi folks,

Without going into what can still be a contentious issue regarding previous archaeological excavations, etc, I myself have booked a wee tour of the site for next March and have found the current owner and/or representative of the organisation that are custodians of the crater zone to be extremely prompt, polite and welcoming in their response. No underground tour has been guaranteed in the email I received, and quite rightly so if the excavated areas are even slightly compromised by geology and humanity, but I still can't wait!!

Hi Mulbury44

is this website available in English , I've passed many times and looked over the fence but never been onto the site before .  When I've visited previously the La Boisselle study group have not been on site . It would be interesting to see the site close up . Thanks , Dom

HI Dom,

Sorry I have only just seen your question, when the page is viewed with Google Chrome a 'Translate This' box pops up and you can then read it in English.

Regards Andy.

• 6 months later...

All,

just returned from France and was able to meet the landowner of the site known to British and Commonwealth troops as the 'Glory Hole' at La Boisselle. By lucky coincidence, we arrived on site at the same time as a couple of British gents from a living-history group associated to the Essex Regiment, and who are very much involved with the position, were present; I will not get drawn into any arguments regarding the original dig, etc etc, but I and my party were unanimously impressed by the landowner's commitment to the preservation of the site, its protection from development and, hopefully, its official recognition as a 'War Grave'. Thanks to the guys from the Essex, we were able to go down the incline of , I think, 'W' Adit off Scone Street to one of the original shafts...an .amazing experience (and, yes, we WERE briefed on hazards, issued with hard-hats, etc). Whatever your views on the controversy which still shrouds the recent story of this site I still fully recommend a visit, and honestly believe and accept the commitment of those individuals now involved with the new Society in their ultimate goal of preservation.

Andy