Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Arras Centenary Commemorations

Julianw

I am  planning to go to Arras for the 100th commemorations of the start of the Battle but am having some difficulty in finding out what is being planned officially.  I presume something is being organised for the 9th April 2017?

Can any member point me in the right direction?

Julian 

• 2 months later...

Julian, I am in the same boat. All I know is that the Wellington Quarry Museum in Arras is planning an exhibition featuring the soldiers who fought in the battle and last year called for contributions. There is also an annual dawn commemoration on April 9th. It seems to me that the remarkable events of April/May 1917 have never received the attention that they deserve and I hope this won't also be the case with the centenary.

If possible I would appreciate a photo of the memorial please or a scene from the commeration if you wouldn't mind posting one on this forum?  I have never had an opportunity to visit. My request is because my husband's great uncle has no known grave but is remembered there, 8556 Pte Alfred G Fairbrother Royal Warwickshire Regt, KIA 10 April 1917.  Sadly we know nothing at all about his final day and know very little about him generally.  I have been researching the family tree based on photos found in my late father in laws things. Alfred was his mothers brother. Thank you

image.jpeg

I think that Arras commemorations may well be eclipsed by the Vimy Ridge events organised by Veteran's Affairs Canada

17 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

If possible I would appreciate a photo of the memorial please or a scene from the commeration if you wouldn't mind posting one on this forum?  I have never had an opportunity to visit. My request is because my husband's great uncle has no known grave but is remembered there, 8556 Pte Alfred G Fairbrother Royal Warwickshire Regt, KIA 10 April 1917.  Sadly we know nothing at all about his final day and know very little about him generally.  I have been researching the family tree based on photos found in my late father in laws things. Alfred was his mothers brother. Thank you

Hi Alison.  The 11th Royal Warwicks were in 112th Brigade, 37th Division.  On the 10th April the Brigade moved through 12th Division to attack from Feuchy Chapel down the Cambria Road towards the cross roads between Monchy-le-Preux and Guemappe.  The Warwicks were not in the forefront of this attack but in support.  The attack failed and the brigade came under considerable shell fire that evening with the unit having to move forward after the other units retired.  It is likely your relative was killed under that fire.  As the Warwicks were not involved in the attack it is likely that Alfred was given a field burial somewhere in the vicinity but that this was subsequently lost in further fighting, not an unusual occurrence. 20 men were killed that day, many are on the memorial, 4 are in Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery nearby.  There are a large number of unknowns in the cemetery from clearances of the area after the war, it is possible that Alfred is one of those. 

Jim

Ah, I was waiting for our Arras expert to turn up. Thanks for the info Jim. 

Thank you for this information it does confirm the bits of info, maps etc, I have tried to piece together.  I did wonder if he had been buried then lost because in a war diary I read that they were in a rest camp, nothing definite just a guess.  I do hope he is one of the buried even if Unknown and it would be wonderful if he were to be identified at some point through Dna perhaps.  Funnily enough I wrote a letter to the unknown soldier in Paddington which was based on possibilities about Alfred's death before I had rese arched more as I suspected if buried the battles were likely to blow graves to bits.  Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am a New Zealander hopefully traveling to France in July 2017.  I have been to Arras in 2009 and would like to go back.I am hoping to find a NZ'er who was there 100 years ago with relatives in NZ I could talk to - ideally a man who perhaps survived this and went on to Passchendaele - a day that has it's centenary in October and I will likely write a piece about this for the NZ Herald. Can anyone help me there?

I am in France to find out more about my grandfather's war - he was there 100 years ago in 1917 with the Chinese Labour Corp - 54 co and later 114.I believe the person I need to find is Ivor Lee. Next on my list! I want to know my grandfather's movements ( possibly in relation to Passchendaele) with the CLC.

Hi all

The grandfather of my wife - Corporal George Frederick Warwick, 1st Battalion of Royal Warwickshire Regiment - fought at the battle of Arras before he was killed on 5 October 1917 during the battle of Passchendaele (Broodseinde).

I'm in relationship with one of the members of the Office of Tourism of Arras, who is in charge of organizing the ceremonies of the Centennial of the Battle of Arras.

According to my correspondent:

March 18 to May 16, 2017, on the "Place of Heros", the exhibition public "Looks of the Battle of Arras" will take place. Many panels exponent of soldiers belonging to regiments that participated in the battle of Arras will be installed there.

If you wish to receive more specific information that I can apply to my correspondent, you can send me a personal message.

Sincerely,

Pierre

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2016 at 07:54, GFW said:
March 18 to May 16, 2017, on the "Place of Heros", the exhibition public "Looks of the Battle of Arras" will take place. Many panels exponent of soldiers belonging to regiments that participated in the battle of Arras will be installed there.

A photograph of my Wife's Great Grandfather, William Edward French has been chosen to be displayed. We've already planned to visit Bullecourt on the 20th of May for the centenary of his death but will fit in another lightening visit to Arras to see his picture in the place du theater.  

Edited by Ralphed

Hi all,

Last Saturday, I was present at the opening of the exhibition.

One of the officials asked the Mayor of Arras that exposure be extended beyond the date of May 16. I hope that this will be possible so that you can traverse it and find the panel corresponding to your family.

On each panel, there is a QR code, which gives access to the https://www.regardsdesoldats.com/ site which gives the list of soldiers who are part of the exhibition as well as additional information on each of them.

Get back to you as soon as possible for any other information.

Pierre
Edited by GFW

Just back from Arras today.

I cannot stress too much how impressed I am with the ongoing preparations for 9 April.

Terrific and sensible use of funds in evidence all over the town. Great stories and fair selection.

Cheers,

SMJ

Arras.png

• 2 weeks later...

My great uncle, rifleman albert zeims, died in the field at the Battle of arras on 14 April 1917. He was with the Queen's Westminster Rifles. Is there anyone who can tell me how this battle played out as I know so little . Albert is buried in a marked grave in bootham cemetery, which I have visited. Such a peaceful place now, lovingly tended, for which I am so grateful.

hi and welcome to the forum.

If you have access to Ancestry the war diary Feb 1916 to may 1919 for 1/16 Btn London Rgt Queen's Westminster Rifles  is here

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2963_2-00000?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing

entry for 14th april 1917 starts bottom of image 99

and I suggest map 51b SW from http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=51b

regards

Jon

Edited by jonbem
detail pge add map ref

2 hours ago, jonbem said:

hi and welcome to the forum.

If you have access to Ancestry the war diary Feb 1916 to may 1919 for 1/16 Btn London Rgt Queen's Westminster Rifles  is here

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2963_2-00000?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing

entry for 14th april 1917 starts bottom of image 99

and I suggest map 51b SW from http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=51b

regards

Jon

Carol

that diary is so easy to read, being typed, some of them are really feint in pencil!

This is in Arras, opposite the railway station, taken 18th Jun 2016

memorial in Arras 18jun2016.jpg

Hello Jon, Thank you for sending this photo. What a very fine piece of design, it is quite beautiful. 

As you say, the link you sent of the events of 14 april at the battle of Arras are so easy to read, and I have just sat and read through again this evening. 

We have learned that the conditions in the field were horrendous yet the officer writing his report comments that it was a beautiful day, It breaks your heart, doesn't it?

We owe these young men so much and I'm very grateful to you and this forum for your help and information.

best regards

Carol.

A collection of Arras photographs at the time, left to me by my Grandfather Laughton who was there with the 26th Northumberland Fusiliers:

http://laughton.ca/mirror/military/ww1/gvlaughton/arras/index.html

For the longest time, when I was MUCH younger, I had always assumed that because he was a Canadian that he was at Vimy RIdge. As time went on I started to put the pieces together - then finally Chris Baker did some great research for me and started me down the long path to Great War research addiction!

He was at Roclincourt, so on the right flank of the Canadians on 9 April 1917. His notes of the battle and trench maps are on his site as well:

http://laughton.ca/mirror/military/ww1/gvlaughton/vimy2.htm

Although I have since corrected the text where it referred to "Vimy" you will note the web site hyperlinks still say "vimy".

Roclincourt_51B_6A_March_1917_Small.jpg

Hi Richard

I have the extracts from the 103rd Brigade diary if you don't have them, for 9th April 1917

Jon

Edited by jonbem
spelling

No I do not. I got some good information from Shakespear's book on the 34th Division and then the GWF was able to help me track down the 26th NF war diaries.

I'll PM them to you

regards

Jon