Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Gilinsky

I am seeking for comparative purposes as many summer only, seasonal only, seaside / lakeside returned soldiers, ex-service mens', veterans' health care facilities of all kinds and types            1) in the United Kingdom and

2) anywhere outside of the United Kingdom (Canada, United States of America, France, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Russia / USSR, Poland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Switzerland, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, 

The reason I wish to find these convalescent camps, health resorts, summer vacation spots, seaside hotels, rest camps, rehabilitation facilities, respite facilities, rural "soldier settlement" farms (collective, small group and individual), etc....   I am writing an academic history of a local Toronto Canadian veteran's facility that only operated during the summer months as a vacation spot for a major local veteran's hospital.  It was located on an Island in a secluded quiet spot.  Many similar institutions existed throughout the world and I would like to find out as many of these as I can.  For example Big Marine Lake, Minnesota, USA  http://www.vetscampmn.org/camp-features/camp-history/ which was established in 1926 (and is still with a continuous history serving disabled American veterans).  Maritime based or focused relevant institutions with canoeing, sailing, fishing, boating, sculling, etc... are of primary interest.  A contemporary WWI and post-WWI Canadian example is Winnipeg Beach Convalescent Home operated by the local Winnipeg Branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society from about 1918 to the 1930s in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.                                                      

Thanks,

John

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Edited by John Gilinsky