Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

johnboy

died at sea3.jpg

Feel free to add further info about her.

Edited by johnboy

Thanks. Was she related to the man listed above her?

Gertrude lived at 22 Foden  Road Walsall. She worked at Bagthorpe Military Hospital Nottingham from 8/10/1915 untill November 1917 when she was killed on her way to Alexandria.

She was not a sibling of Frank. Quite possibly more distantly related. Bytheway is an uncommon name but there are quite a few across the Walsall-Lichfield area. I studied Frank in some detail many years ago, when I was compiling a history of his battalion.

!911 Census shows her aged 30yrs working as an Elementary Teacher. 

Hi,

Not, as Chris says, a relation, but he is interesting in himself as he is a M.C., D.C.M.

May I ask your interest in Gertrude who  was awarded a ‘scarlet efficiency stripe’ on Friday 28 December 1917 ??

Regards,

Graeme

No specific interest in her. I came across some pics and thought they might be of use to others with an interest in nurses. Nice to flesh out the bones.

More pics will be posted in due course.  

Edited by johnboy

There is an interesting entry in the National Schools' Admission Registers & Log Books in FMP.

Queen Mary's High School for Girls, Walsall.

Parent: George Bytheway, Accountant; 31 Lysways Street.

Previous school: Misses Fletcher

III (form?) Entered '93

iv             Left.       '94.   Pupil Teacher, Walsall Sch[ool] B[oar]d

V.A.D. 1914-1917

Torpedoed and drowned, Mediterranean.

Does anyone know if there was/is a war memorial for Queen Mary's High School?

There might be something in the register of teachers (if I can remember which site it is on).

Roger M

Hi

There is a memorial in QMS School, but it covers the Boys School. She is not recorded on this memorial.

She is on the Walsall Roh, the Corporation roll of honour at Walsall Town Hall, the memorial at St. Andrew’s Church, Birchills and on the roll of honour at St. Paul’s Church, Walsall.

Graeme

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Gertrude was born on 23 October 1880 and was my husband's great aunt (one of the two sisters of his grandmother, Dorothy). The Staffordshire Advertiser for 3 June 1920 carries an account of the unveiling of a memorial tablet to Gertrude on 28 May 1920. The unveiling was conducted by the County Director of the Red Cross Society, Colonel W A Wetherall. It was placed in the Palfrey Schools, where Gertrude taught before volunteering in the VAD. Interestingly, her sister, Effie, was teaching at the Palfrey Schools at that time, and had been doing so since 1899 (according to her registration with the Teachers Registration Council). That summer term (1920) was her last term there before she took up a post as a Head Mistress at St Peter's C of E school in Walsall. To what extent did Effie have a role in the memorial?

Gertrude also features in Walsall's Black Country Living Museum.

Very interesting. Thank you for posting this information, LongfordLady. It is always nice to learn of such family connections, which emphasise the impact of the war in a more personal way.

Robert

Morning,

Can I ask, how does she feature in "Walsall's Black Country Living Museum" and is the Palfrey School memorial still in existence ??

Regards

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Indeed, thank you Longfordlady.

It is good to get the extra information.

RM