Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfathers and Great Uncles in the German Army

Ken S.

Ken,

I attached a picture and I hope to make it a little bit clearer. I am sorry, I have difficulty in translating some german terms. May be some of the pals can help.

On both of your photos you see the "altpreußische Litzen" (on collar and cuff) which are pointed at the end. You see them on the earlier photo in the blue pre war uniform (left) and also on the one that shows him later in the war in his fieldgrey "Feldbluse". This is typical for the two regiments. As I mentioned, they almost looked the same.

uniform.jpg

Difference: everything I encircled was yellow (metal= gold/yellow Tombak) for the Garde Gren R. 5 and white (metal= white/silver Nickel) for the 5. Garde Regiment zu Fuß. The garrison of both regiments was Spandau. I am still not sure about the colour. These photos sometimes play tricks!

The 8. Garde Minenwerfer Kompanie was a part of the XVII. Armeekorps and the XVII. Armeekorps belonged to the 18. Armee in March 1918.

Hinrich

Hello Ken,

I had a quick look at the the pre war photo of your granddad Albert Eichelbaum. In my opinion he was a member of the 4. Garde Feldartillerie Regiment when the photo was taken. Do you know his date of birth?

Hinrich