Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mindel Trench

Robbie2

This is really a long term request in that someone in the future might be visiting Mindel trench. I'm interested in one of my relatives who is buried there. Robert Mccondach a sergeant in the 8th Black Watch who was killed on 9/04/17. The grave number is B34. Ideally I'd like a photograph.

Thanks clk. I've done that but no real rush as I've waited a long time for anything..........assuming that I'm still here of course! From memory (not what it was!) I think that I might have contacted them before but without result.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 13:44, clk said:

Hi Robbie2,

If nobody comes back to you, it might well be worth contacting the British War Graves project - see here

Regards

Chris

No joy there I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...
On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 15:46, bwarchive said:

Sorry cant supply a photograph of the grave. I can however supply a photograph of the man if you are interested.

Sorry for the lack of a response. Been off doing other things and haven't checked back in a while. Thanks very much for the photo. I think that it's one that I have but the old album has been returned to the loft & I'll need to retrieve it to check.

Again many thanks for your trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robbie2

Below is an image of the headstone you requested. Unfortunately it is one of the most illegible stones i have come across, although saying that, there were worse in the cemetery.

Hope it helps

Regards

John

29582584674_e32fd833c3_k.jpg

Thanks for that John. Trust me to be awkward and ask for an illegible stone. I suppose that the passage of over a hundred years has weathered it somewhat.

It's a nice remembrance though of someone that I unfortunately never had the chance to meet.

Edited by Robbie2

Good suggestion chaz & I did just that.

Their reply read as follows: "Our inspectors check the condition of headstones on a cyclical basis, to check the condition of the headstones within our care. 

Your photograph will be forwarded in our French area office responsible for Serjeant Robert McCondach’s headstone in Mindel Trench British Cemetery, so they are aware of your concerns over its condition.  I will also so make them aware of deterioration of the other headstones in that you had also mentioned."

So thanks also to Frajohn for commenting on the condition of other stones in Mindel Trench & to Michelle Young for further photographs.

Edited by Robbie2

Further to the above I received another epistle from CWGC. Fairly long but the important part (to me) read as follows: There is bound to be a subjective element in assessing the acceptable legibility of inscriptions.  Inscriptions should be readable at reasonable light levels and viewing distances by visitors with normal vision.  This guidance applies to all stone.

If a headstone falls below the acceptable levels of legibility indicated above, intervention will be required. Following a conservation-led approach to our headstones, replacement of an unacceptable headstone should be the last option. Consideration should first be given to other options, such as re-graving or stone indents.

Looking at the photograph which you attached, although the headstone is not perfect it is still in an acceptable condition and not in urgent need of re-engraving.  You will agree that we plan to re-engrave/replace the headstones at the worst cemeteries first. 

So at least I got a reply & some thought. Now where's my hammer & chisel!