Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bouchoir New British Cemetery France

tanks3

Hi All,

If there is anyone going to or near this cemetery in the near future I would be most grateful if they could let me know.  I am seeking a copy photo of the headstone to 2/Lt A Ryrie Tank Corps who is buried within.  Hope to hear fron someone

Thanks

Tanks3

Hello from the Somme, I live about 4 km from Bouchoir, so I'll go during the coming week. Do you want a general view of the Cemetery as well ? Kind regards, martine

PS : http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/308717/RYRIE, ARTHUR 

so, he died in Aug.18 - if you know more about him, I could mention him in the research I am doing (see here : https://somme18.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/project-19181.pdf )

Edited by mva

Hi Martine

Could I be very rude and ask for a headstone picture too.

William Thomas Deakin SAMBROOK Grave V.B.3.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Graeme

@Graeme : no problem, of course ! I drive past the cemetery at least once a week.

and same answer as above to tanks 3 (PS)

Kind regards from the Somme, martine

Edited by mva

MVA

Thank you so much.  I am very grateful.

I know very little about 2/Lt Ryrie at the moment because I am just starting my research on him.  I know he was from Glasgow and, as you say, he was KIA on the 10/8/18.  The 6th battalion tank corps history (of which he was a member) says:

"Lieut. A Ryrie was wounded mortally whilst getting outside his tank to clear away the tarpaulin which had fallen in front of the drivers' loop hole.  He died almost immediately."  

The history also says he was in a Meduim Mark A Whippet tank number 343.

My interest in this officer is that he also fought at Cambrai in a Mark IV tank number 2321.  Both the whippet and Mark IV tanks were built in Lincoln, my home town.  I am planning an exhibit for next year on the Lincoln tanks that fought at Cambrai.

His grave reference is V. D. 9.  Hope that helps.  A general view of the cemetery would be nice too, if not too much trouble.  If you post here when you have visited, I will PM you with my email address so that the photos can be sent off forum.

Tanks3

Morning Martine

Sambrook

William was born in Great Wyrley, the son of Charles William and Alice Mary (née Bolt) Sambrook of The Willows, Walsall Road, Great Wyrley, his father being an iron turner, diesinker and engraver.

Educated at Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall, he was later employed as a student teacher at Great Wyrley Council School.

William enlisted in 7th Training Reserve Battalion with regimental number 5/27920 at Walsall on Sunday 6 May 1917, later being posted to the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Drafted to France on Tuesday 16 April 1918, William was killed during actions against Roye.

Regards,

Graeme

"Bonne chance" with your researches, Martine!

Graeme & tanks 3 : I was in Bouchoir this afternoon (5:30 pm) : there is a double problem for both of you :

1. the engraving on the stones is old, has not been re-carved (if this is not the right word, I guess you know what I mean) & is thus difficult to read (even for human eyes)
  2. the sunlight did not help, as it was directed to the other side

I enclose a map of the sight : the red O shows where your graves are, the orange arrow the direction of the sun and the blue line the side where you can (hardly) see the names. I enclose other pics as well : cropped views of the names on the stones, then I tried to change them with a photo software, the result is not very fine.

To get a better result, I should go in early morning, when the sun light is directed on the blue line, where the names are - or I wait until days are shorter and I use the flash of my camera (it didn't work to day in broad day light). 

Or I can go again in a few days and try again if the sky is grey. What do you think ? Kind regards, martine

ps 1- I cannot upload these examples , so I have put them here : https://somme18.com/bouchoir/ ; after the plan of the cemetery comes, for each grave, 

• a cropped image : the name (please compare the engraving with the flowers !)
  • the same image I have changed to darken & high light

you should click on the images to enlarge them

ps 2 - I made other views of the cemetery, middle in the fields with harvesting going on, they are on my blog, after the pics of the individual graves : https://somme18.com/bouchoir/

Edited by mva

9 hours ago, John(txic) said:

"Bonne chance" with your researches, Martine!

thank you, John(txic), the result will be public early 2018 - and of course will be announced here !

Morning Martine,

Would it be possible to send the full size pictures to my my e-mail address, Im sure they will be fine !!

many thanks for your efforts,

Regards,

Graeme

bonjour Graeme, if you can wait a few days, I'll go again and make other pics ; yesterday, I was so annoyed about the names being so difficult to read that I just did samples, in order to see the results on the computer ; what I have now are pics that are not well positionned . But I'll send you what I have during the day. If you want general pictures of the cemetery, do feel free to download them from my blog.

kind regards, martine

Hi Martine

have to agree, have been around a few graveyards and cemeteries this year so far. there are a lot that are in bad condition. I have often thought that there should be a way of coating the headstones in a resin to prevent wear and staining. one we pass frequently , Fillievres , is constantly under the shadow of two trees and stones suffer from green staining, wheras some out in the field do suffer from wind and rain erosion.

The headstone problem (at least the greening effect) was made very difficult when EU directives forbade the use of the treatment the CWGC had used for donkey's years, i.e. some twenty years ago, according to a friend of mine who was then CWGC Director in Belgium (and all points north east). The problem was that any solution that they came up with had to be tested and proved at vast expense and they were finding it a real struggle to come up with a satisfactory alternative.

If there are issues with any particular cemetery, take it up with he CWGC. I have always found that they are very helpful. At one stage the Cambrai area cemeteries, loosely speaking, were relatively poorly maintained when compared to the Somme and I mentioned this to them; I got a full explanation from them and what they were panning to do about it and the change was quite noticeable within a year or two (not saying, of course, that it was my letter wot done it).

Martine

Thank you so much for your efforts.  I am not in a hurry for the photos so can I ask I leave it with you to get the best picture you can when appropriate?  A general view of the cemetery would be nice too.

I have in the past taken a little water and a damp cloth with me to headstones.  If you dampen the lettering only with some water, (make sure it doesn't run down) it will darken the name and maybe then take a photo.  However, I will leave it to your judgement to do the best you think able.

Again I am most grateful for your efforts.  I didn't realise such a simple request would cause such a problem.

Regards

Tanks3

Tanks 3, this is a good idea with the damp cloth ! As I said, I live only 4 km from Bouchoir, so it won't be a problem to have a try at that.

chaz & nigelcave : in Bouchoir, some stones seem to have been 'renewed', the names are very clear, so I guess some are re-carved 

I must say the 3 cemeteries in my vicinity (Bouchoir, Hourges & Le Quesnel) are very well maintained, esp. as far as the 'gardening' is concerned : lawns always wonderful, perennials as well. So, I was very surprised to see that some names are nearly 'wiped off'.

kind regards et à bientôt, martine

Graeme, I sent pics to your e-mail address

Tanks 3, please send a pm with your e mail address, I made new pics (before & after spraying the stone)

kind regards, martine

Hi

A massive thanks to Martine for the most excellent pictures of Sambrook's headstone,

Cheers Martine,

Regards,

Graeme

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2016 at 17:55, mva said:

@Graeme : no problem, of course ! I drive past the cemetery at least once a week.

and same answer as above to tanks 3 (PS)

Kind regards from the Somme, martine

Can you help me.  I plan to visit cemetery to see my great grandfather's grave and will be travelling from Paris. I need help travelling by train or bus

13 hours ago, Anncar said:

Can you help me.  I plan to visit cemetery to see my great grandfather's grave and will be travelling from Paris. I need help travelling by train or bus

hello, Anncar,

sorry to tell you no train or bus will bring you to Bouchoir ! The only way is to get there in a car. When do you intend to come ? The nearest would be catching a train in Amiens to MONTDIDIER, where I could eventually pick you up and drive you to Bouchoir. Do feel free to contact me in a pm.

kind regards from here, martine

PS - train strikes are announced for the coming weeks (red = strike)calendrier-des-jours-de-greve-a-la-sncf.png.deddee8a10ebf5ae4127edcb6956bfe0.png

I plan to visit some time in April or May.  I will contact you when I know dates. It would be very kind of you to help me reach cemetery. My great grandfather was W McTaggart Royal Irish Rifles. 

33 minutes ago, Anncar said:

I plan to visit some time in April or May.  I will contact you when I know dates. It would be very kind of you to help me reach cemetery. My great grandfather was W McTaggart Royal Irish Rifles. 

Hello, Anncar, have you read my personal message to you ?

Of course, in April & May, there are some dates when I am not available, I'll tell you which ones as soon as possible

Kind regards, Martine