Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras and Ypres photos

neverforget

On 07/08/2016 at 22:45, neverforget said:

I hope that you make it, and that your first visit turns out to be as unforgettable as mine was. 

One or two more pictures:

A couple of close-ups of the original Old Contemptibles Standard

IMG_0024_zpsvze7myd1.jpg

IMG_0023_zpswqjy6nq3.jpg

The shell case that I found in New Trench, before and after an hour under the ice-blaster at work. Just visible at the nose end is what appears to be a speck of original red paint showing through a couple of layers of rust. I might take it back in next nightshift and see if I can blast any more layers away

IMG-20160802-WA0001-1_zpsyggfyb9l.jpg

IMG-20160804-WA0001_zpshv81odvj.jpg

I was very interested to see the Branch Standard of the Acton Branch in these photos from two years ago. The Standard was originally laid up in the Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields on 14 July 1974 with five other Branch Standards, but were removed when the Crypt was converted into a cafe.  The Standards were eventually disposed of by the church authorities, which was a great shame as the Chums had put their trust in St Martin-in-the-Fields to look after them, as well as their memorial that was in the Crypt but was destroyed following the conversion work.

3 hours ago, AndrewThornton said:

I was very interested to see the Branch Standard of the Acton Branch in these photos from two years ago. The Standard was originally laid up in the Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields on 14 July 1974 with five other Branch Standards, but were removed when the Crypt was converted into a cafe.  The Standards were eventually disposed of by the church authorities, which was a great shame as the Chums had put their trust in St Martin-in-the-Fields to look after them, as well as their memorial that was in the Crypt but was destroyed following the conversion work.thankfully 

It's truly tragic to think that these items are not revered in the way that I'm sure we all think they deserve. This particular one thankfully fell into the safe hands of Monsieur Benoit Mottre, who is the chairman of the Last Post Association at Ypres, and completely dedicated to the memory of the British soldiers who defended his city. My son and I stayed at his Menin Gate apartment during our visit, and we were bowled over by his hospitality and dedication to the cause. I would highly recommend his apartment to anyone visiting Ypres for more reasons than one. He is, as they say, a diamond geezer. 

Edited by neverforget

I'm 100% sure that he does. He payed a considerable sum to take it into his care. 

one question: on #3, there is a picture of a grave with the words "over him now the red poppied grow".

Can you give me the reference of that grave? Or at least which cemetery??

M.

45 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

one question: on #3, there is a picture of a grave with the words "over him now the red poppied grow".

M.

That is a very good question MM, I'd like to know too; I don't think I've ever seen an inscription with poppies mentioned. I'm sure Mr Plumb will have the info.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

M.

41 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

That is a very good question MM, I'd like to know too; I don't think I've ever seen an inscription with poppies mentioned. I'm sure Mr Plumb will have the info.

Pete.

I'm sorry to say I'm not too sure, as it was one of my son's photos. However, I will ask him to look through his collection to see if we can find out for you. I have a hunch that it may be either Vis en Artois or Arras, but I will find out tonight if I can. 

If only he had photographed the whole gravestone...

On 20/09/2018 at 12:19, Marilyne said:

M.

On 20/09/2018 at 13:10, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

My son and I are both pretty sure that it was at the Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery at Arras. My son remembers that we had just been to the site of Albert Plumb's death near Triangle Wood. Whilst we were there we scattered some poppy seeds in the field, and then went directly to the Arras Memorial to find his name on the wall. Gary recalls that the inscription seemed very apt and poignant to us in the light of our actions a few minutes previous. 

This is the message he just sent me which might hopefully narrow down the search:

20180922_140753.png.5bb85c7386f6350992e681ae54279099.png

Thanks for that!! 

I'll know approwimately where to look for it!! 

M.

You're welcome. I only hope we have remembered correctly.