Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15 Battalion Welsh Regiment

little bob

I wonder if anyone can help with a look up of the War Diary for 15th Battalion Welsh Regiment  September 1918 please.

Bob

What exactly are you looking for? Forumite Steve John is the expert and has a book out on the bn. Not sure if he checks in often.

Bernard

Talking to a friend whose Great Uncle served in both 14th and 15th battalions and was killed on September 4th 1918 whilst serving in the 15th Battalion. Pte 20621 Gilbert  Bowen Morgan. Have a copy of Steve's book, " By 11.30 hrs of 4th September 1918 the canal  defences  had been breached, and the first major obstacle to the Hindenburg Line outer defences had been crossed."

It continues " The crossing of the canal du Nord had been straitfoward for the 15th Welsh, as they had not been directly involved in the forcing of the canal defences, but used as reinforcements after the crossing."

Bob

Edited by little bob

Hmmm, the 15th Welsh War Diary is brief re 4 September 1918. 

On 3 September it was at Morth (?) Copse, west of Sailly Saillesel (check spelling). 

On 4 Sept the battalion seems to have been out of any fighting and in support. No KIA noted.

On the 5th two companies were sent to the 13th Welsh and two to the 14th Welsh.

By the 6th the battalion was in reserve at Transloy.

Bernard

Bernard, thank you very much for the information. I received a PM this morning with images of the Diary which shows "Casualties  5 OR's killed and 32 OR's wounded." Have spent time this morning going through Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914 - 1919 and have come up with 6 OR's killed in action on 4th September 1918. I think I've more work  to do.

Bob

Bob,

If you check Geoff's Search Engine there are 9 men of 15th Welsh shown as died that day. 

DAVIES,WHT 54489

DAVIES,W 14490

DAY,W 65543

GREENLAND,TH 73162

HIGGINS,AE 56983

JONES,EWL 291840

MANHAN,C 203429

MORGAN,GB 20621

WILLIAMS,JC 201121

They are spread-out in terms of cemeteries, several being on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial, but the rest mostly as singles in Morval, Caterpillar Valley (concentration burial), Varennes, Fienvillers, and 2 in Sailly-Saillisel (both concentration burials).  I didn't check, but perhaps some were died of wounds from previous days - SDGW would clarify.

Clive 

Clive

Thank you for the information. I only counted those killed in action, missed Albert Edward Higgins. Didn't count Thomas Henry Greenland as he was shown to have died of his wounds. Without going to the CWGC  I would never have found Clement Manhan as he served as Albert James Williams, he is also shown as having died of his wounds.

Bob

• 1 year later...

Interesting topic, thanks. I'm researching William Henry Fry of the 15th Battalion Welsh who died of wounds on 5th Sept 1918 and is buried at Varennes, so this is very useful.