Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another soldier passes

Andrew P

News this morning that there are now only 7 Australian veterans alive, with the death on Wednesday of Vivian Folland who was 104 years old.

Folland was born in 1898 and was working on a farm when he enlisted in 1917.

He was assigned to the 48th Battalion AIF and saw action with them in September 1918 in the actions on the Hindenburg Line.

He credits his survival through contracting pnuemonia while in training in England which thus delayed his arrival at the Battalion.

His brother Malvern was killed with the Imperial Camel Corp in Palestine in April 1918.

Folland also served in the Australian Armoured Division in WW2.

After WW2 he went back to his farm near Williams in Western Australia.

At the age of 84 he made the news when a large kangaroo attacked him and his dogs. He was going to his dogs assistance when he fell over and then the kangaroo attacked him inflicting multiple wounds. He managed to kill the kangaroo with a big stick and then had to walk the 2km home to receive medical attention.

He continued to work on his farm till he was 90 before retinring to the town of Kojonup.

Four years ago he led the Anzac Day parade in Perth and in 2000 he met the Queen at an event in Perth.

When he was in France in WW1 he was called 'Petit Garcon' by the French as he was small in stature.

With Viv Folland's death there is only 1 remaining digger in WA and 7 in total in Australia

Rest in Peace Vivian Folland

Guest Hill 60

The Precious Few are getting fewer with the passage of time but their sacrifice, achievements and sense of duty will live on in our memories.

Rest In Peace Vivian Folland

It always saddens me when I hear of another old sodger 'Going West'. They were a an incredible generation of men and women, their likes will never been seen again. I would dearly love to meet one of the few remaining veterans and shake his hand, just to be in the company of one such, would be an honour.

Rest In Peace Vivian Folland along with your fellow Cobbers.

In answer to the call

He fought and helped to show

Australia's might

Guest Hill 60
I would dearly love to meet one of the few remaining veterans and shake his hand, just to be in the company of one such, would be an honour.

I feel ashamed that as a bairn I never talked to my Grandfather about his time on the Western Front.

It's the same old story; You never know what you've got until you lose it.

I hope all of you who learn of these deaths reprot them to WFA Bullentin editor Stan Grosvenor at cstan@mametz.fsnet.co.uk for a proper obituary which will reach people who care.

Last week a WW1 sailor Jack Bennett died in Tifton, Goergia at 110. He had been stationed in Ireland. RIP Jack.

My guess is the major combatant nations have 50 to 100 each alive.

Hi All:

According to my contact at Veteran Affairs Canada, there are 9 Great War veterans still with us who live in Canada. She thinks there may be a couple of Canadian vets who reside in the United States, but they're not listed on the Veteran Affairs computer system.

Garth