Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

photo info, dublin 1916.

west coast

I am trying to unravel any information regarding this photo, it appears to be photoshopped as the civilian seems to be in modern attire?, its on another forum at the moment with no headway. maybe some of the pals might be able to throw some light on it.

cheers, mike.henry st.jpg

Hi west coast

I don't know about the Photoshop, but I see what you mean, however it appears all over the web as 3+1, anyway I have a picture in a book with the caption, "An officer and two privates(Lancers?) in Sackville Street 24th April 1916".

Maybe another Pal can collaborate?

John

As you say, it has been photoshopped.

It is taken from virtually the same spot on the road as this, but this one was a few days later, after some of the rubble had gone and civilians were back on the streets

dublin.jpg

It's taken looking down Henry Street from Nelson's Pillar on Sackville Street. The building on the left is Arnott's department store which still trades on the same site:

0224.jpg

Dave

21 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

It's taken looking down Henry Street from Nelson's Pillar on Sackville Street. The building on the left is Arnott's department store which still trades on the same site:

0224.jpg

Dave

Hello Dave

Can you clarify, that means that the soldiers are standing in Henry Street and the camera is in Sackville Street, not as per the caption in my book? (post#2)

Thanks John

That's my belief John,

The tall building is definitely Arnott's.

This photo shows the view looking the other way.

wm_4566.jpg

If you look carefully in the OP image there's a thin horizontal sign halfway up a building. The same sign is visible in the archive image on the other side

-Dave 

Spotted the sign, Dave

Thanks for clarifying, will now "deface" my old book, in pencil I hasten to add.

John