Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter George Buckley (Royal Marine Light Infantry)

Seadog

I have received this from the CWGC about the impending rededication of the above, our French and Belgian friends will understand this whilst I trust the CWGC will place the details on their web site in English, albeit with little time to go.

Bonjour,

J’ai le plaisir de vous informer de la tenue le 3 août 2016 d’une cérémonie organisée par le Ministère Britannique de la Défense au cours de laquelle la stèle du soldat Buckley sera rebaptisée au cimetière de la Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), Tournai Communal Allied Cemetery à 11h00. D’abord inhumé comme soldat inconnu, Walter George Buckley (Royal Marine Light Infantry) a pu être identifié par le Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC) du Ministère Britannique de la Défense

La stèle nouvellement gravée par les soins de la CWGC et comportant les détails du soldat identifié sera inaugurée en présence de 13 membres de la famille du Private Buckley (dont 3 neveux et nièces). Je me tiens à votre disposition pour tout renseignement complémentaire. N’hésitez pas à revenir vers moi si vous souhaitiez évoquer cet événement en amont du 3 août.

I assume of course that this man is a WW1 casualty. (He is)

Norman

Norman

Here is the amended CWGC entry - previously commemorated on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial. It looks as if the poor sod was just one day short of the armistice.

BUCKLEY, WALTER GEORGE

Private
Service No:
PLY/18155
Date of Death:
10/11/1918
Regiment/Service:
Royal Marine Light Infantry

Anson Bn. R.N. Div.
Grave Reference:
I. G. 12
Cemetery:
TOURNAI COMMUNAL CEMETERY ALLIED EXTENSION

Additional Information:
Son of George Henry and Mary Buckley.

Ah - it is a re-dedication service:

Rededication Service in Belgium

08 July 2016

The Rededication Service for Private Walter George Buckley of the Royal Marine Light Infantry will be held at 1100 hours on 3 August 2016 at Tournai Communal Allied Cemetery Belgium. He was killed in 1918 and originally buried as an unknown seaman but has recently been identified. The service is being organised by the Ministry of Defence's Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC) and will be attended by 15 members of his family including two nephews and one niece.

http://www.cwgc.org/news-events/news/2016/7/rededication-service-in-belgium.aspx

Thanks for the update Mel, a very emotional service I would guess what with 15 members of his family there, another "In from the cold"

Norman

First name(s) Walter George
Last name Buckley
Birth year 1896
Birth day 28
Birth month Jun
Birth town Stonehouse.
Birth county Devon
Death year 1918
Death date 10/11/1918
Service number Ply/18155.
Rating Pte.
Service R.M.L.I.
Ship/unit 1st Royal Marines Battalion Royal Naval Division
Cause of death Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action.
Cemetery No information received as to location of grave
Location of grave Not recorded
Relatives notified Mother. Mary. 7, Duncan Street. Devonport.
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain
Killed in action
Service branch Royal Marine Light Infantry
Service history Enlisted 31/5/15 age 18 ; Draft for BEF 23/7/18, joined Base Depot Calais 24/7/18, to Anson Bn. 1/9/18-10/11/18 DD.
Awards -
Commemoration Vis-en-Artois Memorial (MR 16)
Notes CWGC = 1st RM Bn. ; Anson Bn. War Diary (Summary of Ops. 10-11/11/18) states six Other Ranks KIA 10/11/18 (CWGC lists only five) ; AFB103 & IWM Roll of Honour = Anson Bn ; Buried in the Grave of the "unknown" Anson Bn. KIA 10/11/18 in Tournai Communal Cemetery Allied Extension, adjacent to the grave of R/1707 AB R.J. Horry RNVR, Anson Bn. KIA 10/11/18, Plot I, Row G, grave 11 (likely originally buried in Spiennes Churchyard with AB Horry & exhumed/reburied at Tournai post-war). ; A Baker ; Next-of-Kin: Mother, Mary Buckley, 7 Duncan St., Devonport.

This repeats the error that he was in 1/RMLI. He was in Anson Battalion and it took nine years to get the MOD to accept this fact. The case with full evidence was put forward in 2007.

On 03/08/2016 at 19:41, horatio2 said:

This repeats the error that he was in 1/RMLI. He was in Anson Battalion and it took nine years to get the MOD to accept this fact. The case with full evidence was put forward in 2007.

horatio

Can you elaborate on the backstory to the case? I am just interested in the enormous efforts of others that go on behind the scene.