Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Committee of the French Red Cross

MotherMave

I am researching  a Nurse who may have been the half sister of Rupert Randolph NEWSTEAD, who I am also researching as his name was on the Queensferry Chemical Works, Flintshire Roll Of Honour, I have found out that he was the son of the first Curator of Chester Museum, but on the census of 1891, she is shown as a step-sister:- 

1891 census RG12; Piece: 2862; Folio: 116; Page: 19;  Sch 103

2, Mount Pleasant, Chester.

NEWSTEAD, Robert Head 31  Curator of Natural History & Taxidermy and Archaeology teacher of Economic Entomology.born North Walsham, Norfolk

NEWSTEAD,, Martha Wife 29 born England

NEWSTEAD, Robert Son  5 born Chester, Cheshire

NEWSTEAD, John H. Son 3 born Chester, Cheshire

NEWSTEAD, Lilian E. Dau 2 , born Chester, Cheshire

NEWSTEAD, Rupert R.  Son 5 months born Saltney, Cheshire

ROGERS, Elizabeth* Step-daughter 11 Scholar born Chester, Cheshire

I reseaching the family I think that Elizabeth was to become a Nurse, therefore I would like to add her work in the war to his story.    Any help to find out if she is the Nurse I found on the Medals entries. on Ancestry. - 

Elizabeth Rogers in the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

Name:  Elizabeth Rogers

Military Year:     1914-1920

Medal Awarded:              British War Medal and Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps:         British Committee, French Red Cross

Nurse Elizabeth ROGERS  - HO Indefinitely - 2-16 8-16   10-15 - 12-15   Has Received Serbian Medal Auth. FRX/101A

Elizabeth Rogers in the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

Name:  Elizabeth Rogers

Military Year:     1914-1920

Medal Awarded:              British War Medal and Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps:         Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps

Regimental Number:      16214

3rd March 1918 - 20th August 1919

Any help would be much appreciated.   Mavis Williams

Hello Mavis,

The National Archives has a Q.M.A.A.C. service record for Elizabeth Rogers 16214, but she was born in 1888 so, unfortunately, she can't be the person you are looking for.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you both for this, I will try and find out more about her, locally if I can.   Regards, Mavis

May be worth sending @Jim Strawbridge a personal message to see if he has this nurse on his database.

sJ

There is a Miss E O Rogers mentioned in 

"List of British Subjects who went abroad on Red Cross and kindred war-work for the French up to December 31, 1917". From

For Dauntless France: An Account of Britain's Aid to the French Wounded and Victims of the War. Compiled for the British Red Cross Societies and the British Committee of the French Red Cross by Lawrence Binyon [1918] Archive.org. 

https://archive.org/stream/fordauntlessfran00biny#page/361/mode/1up  

Cheers

Maureen

Elizabeth Ogilvie Rogers served as a nurse with the French Red Cross.  I have only the partial rolls at home, but the medal index card will give a reference which will indicate which particular service she was with.  As far as I can see, not SWH, FFNC or SRF.

Norman

Hi Mavis

There is an Elizabeth Ogilvy Rogers born abt.1884 on the 1911 census shown as a "sick nurse" but born Glasgow not Chester. Also Nurse (NS) Elizabeth Rogers appears on the 1914 Star rolls for the British Red Cross Society Misc. Unit, embarked 8th Nov. Remarks received "Serbian Medal Authority FRX/101A". Served theatres 1a and 2a.

Regards Barry

Robert Newstead married Martha Rogers at Chester  4th qtr 1884, 8a,546. so she had Elizabeth when she was 18 yrs old. Martha Newstead died in 1891, (8a,321) after the census date, perhaps as a result of childbirth to Rupert R Newstead,...searching  Robert Newstead died 1947. Pic below

Robert Newstead

An Elizabeth Rogers born Chester aged 22 yrs is on the 1901 census at "Rowson St. Convalescent Home" New Brighton, Wallasey. Occupation, "???? Nurse".