Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eating in Albert, recommendations please

Jim Hastings

Believe me, the place is run for the benefit of the staff sometimes! Like the "little girl with the little curl"[child's poem], either very very good, or horrid. 

Two weeks ago, Tripadvisor:

Arrived at this hotel last Sunday after a 300 mile motorcycle ride about 6 in the evening only to find a chalkboard by the front door saying no food Saturday or Sunday evening!
Not a good start as there were 7 of us very hungry. So we check in and go to the bar only to be told it will be closing shortly (7 o clock!) but she was very helpful by telling us were we could eat and drink about a 15 minute walk away, ok..
Good night had by all spent around £500 but not in the hotel!
This doesn't mater because when we checked out it wasn't £95 it was £135 for a double room (which is not one in the pictures) when asked about the price " that's how much it is" very poor!!

Stayed July 2016, travelled with friends

and also:

Fawlty Towers, May 2016:

Air-conditioning unit leaked, possibly a pipe was blocked), therefore we could not get the room cool enough - sometimes unbearably warm, (radiator was turned off!!). Should have been advised that we needed to book for Dinner, (Evening). We were told that if we wanted to eat that it was between 7.30 and 8.30pm - no mention of having to book - 2nd evening we were informed that the Restaurant was fully booked?? Never actually ate at the Restaurant due to it being closed on the Sunday as well

Geof,

Yes the same Filsell. I don't know the hotel, just that the entire Somme area - with a couple exceptions - is a culinary desert. But have a great time anyway.

regards

David

The Last Straw [it was the same ten years ago]:

Booking.com recently:

"Was a good walk from the town if (like us) you had no car. Would have been nice to have some more tables and chairs outside, as red wine was not allowed in rooms"

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

I promise that I have written all that I am going to on the matter: "Do you feel lucky?"

I returned from Albert on 17 July 2016 having spent 4 days touring the area with family to remember my Great great uncle Private William Aitken, of 10 Bn Argylls. Ate in Hotel de la Paix and Corners Bar. Both were good. Steaks and burgers in Corners were excellent.

I had a pleasant lunch on twice in the last month at the Brasserie Hygge Place des Arms Albert.   It's the obvious market square cafe (and was the only one open on Bastille Day)  gets 3.5 stars on tripadvisor but was fit for purpose and served reasonable food.  

The Poppy cafe/ restaurant in la Boiselle is a gem.  Looks like a transport cafe and is - French style Routiers.  Decent reasonably priced French grub. I  have taken business clients there and seen the CWGC use it for meals. 

Ocean Villas does British food and a toss up whether they or Ulster Tower make the best cup of tea in the area.   

I'm afraid that I can reveal that the Brasserie Hygge was where Mrs H. and I had our gruesome culinary experience in Albert the other week. However, Ocean Villas and Ulster Tower were up to snuff, as always. 

We ate at Hygges mid July and the food was pretty poor compared to what it was like in March. Table next to ours had their most expensive steak and it was frozen inside! Poopy always great and so friendly.

Tony

Hi all

We were in Albert on Sunday (14 Aug), but had been forewarned that most places would be closed for dinner, and indeed they were. However, thanks to this thread we sought out Corners and discovered it was open from 18.30 so we ate there and it was perfectly OK, albeit not Michelin star quality, but perfectly edible.

Also, we stayed in the Royal Picardie and found it much better than some of the posts have suggested - room was air conditioned and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful, and because we had read the hotel blurb we knew the bar would shut at 23.00 - in fact I was surprised about this because so few people were in the hotel.

All in all it was fine' and breakfast was also OK

Geoff 

28 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

I can confirm that the burgers and fries in the McDs are to the usual standard! At any rate they were last week when we visited.

I too dabbled in a burger there last week. The Ibis food was okay, but the service was so slow. Tommies  did the best cuppa without a shadow of a doubt and the lunch was good too. Thanks all, had a great time 

I like the fLunch it is near the IBIS, easy car trip or slightly longer walk, very French, low cost dining, but given that it gets very busy with locals, I take that as an endorsement that it isn't just me liking it due to low cost, serves all you can eat mussels in the evenings right now, and given that it is 40c air con is welcome! Not haute quisine, but practical and low cost! I have a teenager in tow who is at that stge of bottomless pit, and it keeps him happy. Great staff too!

20 hours ago, Freeminer said:

it gets very busy with locals, I take that as an endorsement that it isn't just me liking it due to low cost,

A risky premise. A place being packed with the right "ethnics" is no guarantee of quality - if it was, Harvesters would have Michelin stars.